Dear Next Owner | Teen Ink

Dear Next Owner

By NiotaKaia BRONZE, Johns Creek, Georgia
NiotaKaia BRONZE, Johns Creek, Georgia

Dear next owner,

A message for you:

This is Ember, a Selmer oboe I use from this school.  She is an oddy and always seems to have something break at some point so she should be regularly inspected for breakage.  She is not a professional model but do not let you see her as a bad quality instrument; as my middle school director says, “There are no bad instruments, just bad people.”  Despite her flaws, Ember is a beautiful instrument with excellent tone if played just right.  She should be played as often as possible to practice getting the perfect tone from her.

Ember’s repairs have consisted of fixing the response of the Ab side key and the replacement of several missing or old pads.  Most of her repairs can be done yourself with a small screwdriver and some patience to fix loose screws and to fasten springs back into place once they have came loose.  If you don’t trust yourself to do this then just let the band director know and he will take a look at the problem.

Hold your horn right!  Do not play with the bell between your legs, nobody but the chair can hear Ember’s beautiful sound that you create that way.  You want to be heard because you are most likely the only oboe player and if not there is probably one other person in your section.  Be sure to tune with that person while playing so you don’t sound like a couple of out of tune ducks playing a soli. 

Ember has been with me through three concerts, four solos, and countless hours of practice at home, sectionals with the other oboist (and sometimes with the flautists),  and rehearsals with the ensemble.  My favourite pieces to play are slow and melodic pieces such as Irish Tune From County Derry and Nessun Dorma because it is easier to feel the music and listen to other instrument’s parts, but those are also usually the most challenging pieces to perform due to intonation and balance throughout the ensemble.  You will usually have a part shared with the clarinets or with the flutes so if you are struggling with a part in the piece then just ask to see their music so you can compare and know to listen to them when playing so you don’t rush ahead or drag behind them.

I received Ember in the second semester of freshman year by starting off to look for an oboe in a music store while waiting for my alto saxophone to get repaired.  I looked at the different models and brands and kinds of reeds to familiarize myself before I asked the band director to play.  When I asked my director he was thrilled to have another oboist in the band, (there aren’t many of us).  I received Ember that day, my first piece I performed on oboe was Nessun Dorma.  The other pieces I played were on flute and piccolo which consisted of The Stars and Stripes Forever and one other that I can not remember the name of.  I remember my first concert with Ember, being blinded by the lights of the stage and the heat of the room with the pain of wearing dress shoes and the itchy black dresses.  An oboist from the wind ensemble put a print out of a funny picture in one of the scores of our piece for the director to find and the four of us in the section were left giggling before we performed.

I am saying all of this because I care for this instrument and I care for the instrument’s treatment.  When I graduate, I will not be able to look out for Ember and that responsibility will be passed to you. If you do not think you can meet these requirements of upkeep then pick a different oboe, or even a different instrument.

Sincerely,

Ember’s previous owner

This letter was inspired by someone explaining their instrument's adventure.  I wanted to share my story with the next owner of this oboe so when I set the pen down, they can pick it up and continue to write the adventure.