I Believe Love is Stronger than Death | Teen Ink

I Believe Love is Stronger than Death

By Lupita1524 BRONZE, Napa, California
Lupita1524 BRONZE, Napa, California

Scared, depressed, sad, mad. That is how I felt when my grandfather, Miguel, passed away. I couldn’t think correctly; I was in such shock that not even I knew if I could overcome such a dreadful experience. I guess you could say my entire world shut down. My heart ached with pain at the feeling that I would never get to see him again. It has been ten years since his passing, but I feel like it was just yesterday. “He is in a better place,” was what everyone told me, but I just couldn’t get over it. I still feel his love and presence with me everywhere I go. He was my best friend because we were inseparable. This is why I believe love is stronger than death, under any kind of circumstance. I always feel the emotion there someway, somehow.

One of the things that reminds me most of my grandfather is a navy blue, small, fluffy couch. It kills me deep down whenever I see one because it brings back so many memories of him. Although at the same time, I also feel very relaxed because I know he is okay now. One of the memories especially was when I would always try and get to that one couch first before he did. It was an old game of ours, oh god. Most of the times I would get to the couch and sit down first before he did. Although now that I think about it, he would let me win on purpose just to not see me get sad. He was so caring for me and never wanted me to get sad.

I also have a watch of his. It is an old style, silver, metal watch. I have it on my bedroom counter and whenever I see it, it reminds me of how much time has passed. I never wear it because I can’t handle it. It brings back so many emotions and memories all at once. I get very emotional because whenever I hear it Tik-Tok-Tik-Tok, it reminds me of how fast time passes in reality, but not mentally. One minute I feel happy, happy, happy, and in another I feel sad, sad, sad.

No matter what happens, my grandfather will always be with me. I love him and miss him so much, but I know he is resting in peace now. Everyone's support has given me the strength to overcome everything that has come my way. Remember, just because you have lost someone very important in your life, it doesn’t mean they're gone forever. They are always there, taking care of you because there will always be a piece of them inside, deep down in your heart. I believe love is stronger than death.

My late grandfather inspired me to write this essay. The love he gave me when I was young has helped me overcome everything that has come my way.