Hopeless | Teen Ink

Hopeless

November 12, 2015
By TanmaySharma BRONZE, Cupertino, California
TanmaySharma BRONZE, Cupertino, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

A kid recently had a bad experience with his mom right as they leave to the mall.

Chapter 1: Lost

Billy was upstairs sitting quietly on his bed. He had nothing to do. It seemed as if he had no emotions at the time. He was just staring at the plain white wall with his mouth open wide. He started thinking about the fight he had with his mom. They were both really mad at each other because of what had happened in the morning. His dad was at work so he couldn’t enjoy the rest of the day, he thought.
     Suddenly, his mom screamed, ”Billy, come down the stairs.”
     Billy ignores the call knowing that he will have to do something he doesn’t want to do if he goes down the stairs. He didn’t want to hear her in the first place.
     His mom screams even louder again, ” Billy come down the stairs right now or else you’re grounded for a week.”     
     Billy gets off the bed knowing that nothing good is going to happen if he ignores the call. He walks down the stairs slowly, with his head down. Billy walks into the kitchen not saying anything with a blank face.
     His mom interrupts the silence by saying, ”School is about to start, and you’re going into the first grade. We have to buy you some new clothes because you want to make a good impression. Also, all of your old clothes are all torn. So we’re going to the mall to get you some new clothing.”
     Billy never had any special moments or thoughts in the mall so he thought there was no reason to enjoy going there. They both got into the car with complete silence except for the engine roaring which ruined Bill’s idea of complete silence. They approached the mall with a bump as they ran over the curb next to the entrance. Billy got out of the car and walked towards the mall as he tried to avoid eye contact with his mom. The mall’s tiles seemed to be brighter than usual, Billy thought. Then Billy set his eyes on the Foot Locker store. He ran as fast as he could towards his favorite store in the entire mall. All of a sudden, he slipped and landed after flying a few yards. At first he got a little teary, but then he started to cry really loud. Everybody around him were staring at him which made Billy cry even more as tears came out of his eyes and on to the shiny floors! His mom came over and helped him up gently. He felt better, but he still thought he should continue the silent treatment on his mom.


     Billy was looking around the Foot Locker store enjoying his time in the store as the bright neon lights lit up the store. He was admiring the brand new shoes by the famous sports stars, not noticing that his mom was slowly drifting away into another store. Billy spent more time looking at the sports gear filled with bright colors. Then he set his eyes on some new shoes. They were the new Allen Iverson shoes with the Nike swoosh. He decided that he would do anything for the shoes. He ran around the store to see if his mom would let him buy the shoes. He stood on his tiptoes looking for a glimpse of her red t-shirt, nothing. Now he was getting worried. He checked over by the women’s sportswear. Not there either. All he saw was a crowd of people rushing past him. He only heard the sound of hangers scraping racks and a phone ringing wildly. She was gone. Now he was in a panic. After realizing, his mom wasn’t in the store, he wandered off out of the store. At first he started walking and taking quick looks around for his mom, but after realizing that the situation might be really serious, so he started running with teary eyes to where he thinks his mom could be. As he was running, people began to get curious and started to ask him if he was ok. He ran past them as if they weren’t even there. Billy didn’t care what they were saying. He didn’t want to stop and explain. He just wanted to find his mom.


     Billy ran as fast as he could with tears flowing from his eyes to the slippery floors. Billy tried hard to focus his eyes through his tears. Suddenly, he saw a red t-shirt appear from the crowd. Billy felt calm then walked up to the lady and then tapped her on the back.
     She turned around. Once she turned around, he hugged her. Then the woman said, “Get off me stupid child.”
     He immediately realized that she wasn’t his mom so he ran as fast as he could until the woman was out of sight. He stood in place thinking what to do over the loud booming music of Michael Jackson in which he really admired.

     Suddenly, he heard someone yelling wildly.
     He knew exactly who it was he ran through the crowd and saw his mom screaming, “Billy! Billy! Billy!” with tears in her eyes. He ran up to her and hugged her. They both stood there hugging which seemed like an eternity, but Billy enjoyed being with his mom.
     With a stern and happy tone she said, “ If you leave my side again, you are grounded for a week.”
     Billy nodded his head agreeing with his mom. As they walked in and out of the stores, Billy explained what had happened and also about the lady in the red t-shirt who said the s-word. His mom laughed at the story as they walked out of Macy’s to get some clothing for his mom. He had already known that most of the shopping was for his mom and not for him.
     As they walked out of the mall his mom said,” I got something for you”.
     She dug her hand into a plastic bag and she took out the box. Inside the box were a pair of the new Nike shoes with the Allen Iverson logo on it. These were the same shoes he was looking at the Foot Locker store in the mall. Billy was jumping for joy as they walked to the car.


The author's comments:

I am hoping that everyone who reads this will understand that you should always try to be respectful and kind to your parents. It doesn't matter what situation you're in.