Importance of Love | Teen Ink

Importance of Love

By chelleysworld BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
chelleysworld BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware

Love? What is love? According to the official definition, love is an intense feeling of deep affection. But for the people that have gone through or are going through the phase of love, love means so much more than just a feeling.

My parents, the most important people in my life, are going through the phase of love. When it comes to my friends, I'm the only person who has parents that are still together and have been together for many years. I often wonder why people tend to break apart but I can never fully understand the main reason, for there's many reasons to choose from. But surprisingly and full of blessing, my parents weren't part of that population. Since birth, and even before my birth and my sister's birth, there they were, together. They met in a small city in Mexico and have been destined to be with each other by God. For as long as 20 years, my mom and dad have not once slept in different beds, or argued in front of their children, or even discussed a struggle with us. They have been living comfortably and happy for as long as I can remember. And I believe that's the way it's supposed to be.

When it comes to describing the pure love my parents have towards each other, it would sort of sound corny. What is it between those two that seem so corny? It is the jokes they say to each other, the way they still hold hands when they walk around the mall or a park; It is the way they talk to each other when we're having dinner and the way they both fall asleep while we're all watching TV. My parents have an innocent love that nothing in the world can separate them and make them decide to not be together. Even when my dad had to leave my mom behind in Mexico and come to the United States to work, they remained together because somehow they knew they would live to see each other again. Even when my mom moved to the United States and lived with my aunt in Los Angeles with my dad across the country in Delaware, somehow they knew that they would live to love each other forever. And even when my dad got sent to Mexico to serve in the army for a year, my mom somehow knew he would come back safe and sound into her arms.

My parents full of life and happiness have never stepped down from their responsibilities. They have had problems, struggles with emotions and finances, but have not once put their guard down and gave up. It's like they lived in one brand new planet where they planted seeds and as a result, grew a life that only then they can understand and fulfill without anyone telling them how. As their world seems to spin around day by day, they are growing more seeds to impact their lives as the years go on by.

But me? As their world spins around day by day, I'm right beside them planting seeds to help them live to see each other for another 20 years.  I wish someday I can understand the love they have for each other and can someday understand why they live to see each other but as of now, all I can do is watch them grow, watch them smile, and watch them continue to be corny while I just sit back and continue to plant seeds to fulfill not only their lives, but our lives as a family.