The Real War on Women | Teen Ink

The Real War on Women

September 12, 2015
By sarahconte BRONZE, VENTNOR CITY, New Jersey
sarahconte BRONZE, VENTNOR CITY, New Jersey
4 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If a body catch a body running in the rye."


I don’t believe in the “war on women.” I really don’t. But I don’t understand why girls are stereotyped so often. Yet, I have realized that teenage girls aren’t allowed to have a genuine interest in anything without being ridiculed for it.


If a girl likes Ugg boots and Starbucks, she’s stereotyped as stupid and stereotypical, yet, if she likes combat boots and obscure coffee houses, she’s a hipster wannabe and is trying to hard. Not only that, but if she listens to boy bands and other popular artists, she’s a dumb follower. My question is, how are the artists going to be popular if nobody listens to them? They can’t. If a girl reads comics or plays video games she’s categorized as a poser/fake geek girl. Which kind of blows. I love video games, and if someone put a comic in front of me I would enjoy reading it just for fun, you know?


If a girl has a boyfriend, and they do the thing. That's right, the thing. She’s ostracized, called a s*** and a w****. Contradicting that statement, if a girl doesn’t like the thing or she wants to wait until she’s married, she’s categorized as a prude.


Many girls are known for their vanity. It’s true, most of us like to look good. Some decide to enhance their features with makeup. If you do wear makeup because it makes you feel comfortable, or if you just enjoy doing it. Congratulations! To this generation’s screwed up society your a fake! But wait a second . . . if you don’t wear makeup, your a slob? Where the heck did that come from?


Makeup may boost many girl’s self esteem, right? Well, if you have low self esteem you need to learn to love yourself. Well, say your learn to love yourself. Now you have high self esteem. Oh no! Now your overconfident and vain! The horror!


I, myself love politics. I love watching the news, I love talking about politics. Politics, politics, politics. Guess what? I’m a crazy social justice warrior! I don’t even like social justice, so whats up with that? Although I do agree with the crazy part. Now, if a girl prefers to stay out of social matters, she’s a dumb airhead.
Girls are mocked for every single solitary thing they like or do, no matter what those things are. I’m sick of it. I really am. If you are a teenage girl and you are ridiculed for anything you like or do, own up to it. YES! I am a crazy hipster, who is stereotypical and a dumb follower who also loves politics so I’m a social justice warrior who doesn’t like social justice! Embrace your stereotypes, and you may learn to love them. This may sound harsh, but we can’t win. Better to keep things positive instead of thinking about all the negatives. If you start thinking to negative you might be called an emo, and I think you’ve already had enough stereotyping to last a lifetime.