What I Believe Essay | Teen Ink

What I Believe Essay

By sullivano17 PLATINUM, Boston, Massachusetts
sullivano17 PLATINUM, Boston, Massachusetts

You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. - Art Buchwald

I believe in sunsets. I believe in happiness. Darkness can shine a light so beautiful that you will sacrifice your sight for the light.

It is that Tuesday night on your suburban rooftop when you’re watching the sunset with the person you love, listening to blink-182 with the angst pouring out of your soul and he whispers out of the pink hues of the sky, “crazy how the ending of something can be so goddamn beautiful”. It is in these moments, where your hardened amber tinted soul is cracked open like a macadamia nut during summer vacation, seeping out so beautifully you cannot help but take it all in.

This is why I believe in sunsets.

The people that inherit the ability to reach down into the hidden, pleated circumferences of you and find beauty in the flaws, the kind that make your hands shake so much you cannot tell if too much coffee is in your bloodstream or if you are in love. With anything, and everything.

I believe the sky can heal us. I believe broken hearts search for violet and color me pink tinges in the sky and it drowns out their loneliness for a moment, giving them a reason to try again, guiding them towards an overhead light. I believe the sky is a canvas, but not all realize beauty aloud.

I believe people have the ability to be seen as sunsets. When you look at a sunset, you embrace every sharp orange and golden aura; nobody wishes to soften its edges, boost the exposure. The sky is a representation of beauty we do not need to photoshop. People have the ability to view people as they view sunsets.

I believe your high school crush looks at the same sky you do halfway across the world in Tokyo, living in his one bedroom bachelor pad, becoming accustomed to Rosetta Stone playing on repeat in the background. I believe in Notebook-ish moments, when calculus homework is shining red flashes on your skin but all you can seem to remember are his eyes and the way he looked at you like you were whole, not fragmented and in pieces, but a human being, full of life, full of wonder: wanderlust.

Someone once asked me, “How can I know you’re looking at the sky just when I am? How do I know you’re not looking at the flowers or fallen leaves?”, and all I could spit out instinctually was “I’m looking at the world whenever you are, because I am looking at you. You are my world.”

That is why I believe in Notebook-ish moments.

Some people you will know for fifteen years and feel like a current; in and out of their lives and thoughts. But the rare people, the ones you would take a bullet and jump off mountaintops for, the people who reach you in places you did not think existed, bringing out parts of you, for better and for worse: those are the ones worth keeping.

I believe and strive for love, happiness, midnight drives, Notebook-ish moments, disposable camera smiles, and looking at the sky with such awe you swear you are being born again.

That is why I believe in the sky and sunsets.

Just because something is ending, doesn’t mean it cannot heal you.