Wishes. | Teen Ink

Wishes.

May 19, 2015
By Anna2274 GOLD, Effingham, Illinois
Anna2274 GOLD, Effingham, Illinois
15 articles 0 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember; you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world." -Harriet Tubman.


They all used to tell me that when you see a shooting star, wish upon it and that wish may come true, but the only catch is that you can not tell anyone you wish. If you happen to tell somebody about it, it will vanish into the night air like a bird flying over the horizon. My mother always said that a special wish would come around one time, and I just thought she was lying. I didn't know what she had meant by a special wish, to be honest. I always wanted to use that special wish to get candy or a toy, but as I grow older, I start to realize that I can not simply make that wish, but it was one that came and hit me in the back like a bullet and struck my heart. You are my special wish, I suppose. Is that how it's supposed to work? Or am I completely wrong? I am glad that you were my special wish, as my mother called it. You have had such an optimistic impression on me and my life, and I am forever thankful for that. You taught me how to look at things differently, in a different perspective. So, I did as told. I tried so hard to see the most beautiful things in life, but I guess they can not be seen, only felt by the heart. I remember you took me out to the lakehouse and we watched the clouds in the evening sky. And as the sun set, we watched the stars for hours, but finally saw something out of the ordinary. We saw a shooting star and you kissed me instead of making your wish. Afterwords, I questioned as to why you wasted your opportunity to make a wish by kissing me. You told me, "Your mother said there's a special wish, right?" I nodded and you smiled as I gazed into your eyes confusedly. "Well", you said, "I wanted to make it even more special. I have you, I don't need a stupid light in the sky." I wanted to cry when you said that. But, I didn't, so, answer me this.

 

Where are you now? Because I go to the lakehouse and sit there around 2a.m. waiting for you, but you never come. What happened to that special wish? I wish I could go back to the day I met you, because to be honest, I would turn around and walk away.

 

(A.D.)


The author's comments:

I'm a dreamer. I don't know what else to say here other than I regret you.