Our Unwanted Visitor | Teen Ink

Our Unwanted Visitor

March 5, 2015
By ogo99 SILVER, Holgate, Ohio
ogo99 SILVER, Holgate, Ohio
5 articles 0 photos 1 comment

It is an early fall day in the month of October.  My parents were in town grocery shopping when I let my black dog out.  I kept calling for him frantically.  I kept yelling for him, but he wouldn’t come.  I heard him at the side of my house staring under the porch. I knew something was up, so I went to check it out.  When I went on my hands and knees of the hard, concrete ground, I saw a raccoon!  The raccoon was so big I thought it was a wolf.

When I saw it, I quickly brought our dog inside because I didn’t want it to run out and bite him.  When I went inside, I called my mom on the phone, and I exclaimed, “There is a raccoon under our porch!”
“Leave it alone.  It will leave,” she responded.
I did as she said for about five minutes.  I then went out to see if it was still there.  I could not keep it out of my mind that something like that was under there.  When my parents came home, I threw bread out in the yard to try to get it to come out.  It didn’t work as I expected, so we waited till after supper to check on it. 
It was darker around sunset, and it was getting cooler by the minute.  My step father asked me, “If I kill the raccoon, will you drag it out?”
I told him, “No, what’s in it for me?”
“I’ll give you five dollars if you do it,” he said. 
“Fine, I guess I’ll do it,” I said reluctantly.
After we all ate, we went out to check if it was still under the porch.  The raccoon was still under the porch sadly.  My step father and I went to the neighbor’s house, and we borrowed one of their shotguns.  He gave us two shells to kill it with.
When we came back, I put on a carhartt outfit, so I didn’t scrape my knees because under our porch has rocks and rubble under it.  My step father shot the raccoon with both shells.  I heard two loud bangs from the gun and saw the shells fly out of the shotgun like from a movie.  The raccoon was still moving!
I quickly ran in the big outfit to get some more shells from the neighbor’s.  I yelled, “It still ain’t dead yet.  We need more shells.”
He responded, “Sometimes it can take up to five shots.  I shot a raccoon with five shells, and it’s finally died.”
“Thank you,” I replied.
I grabbed the shells and ran back to give them to my step father as fast as I could.  He put both shells in that raccoon, and it finally stopped moving.  I went to the garage and quickly grabbed a pickaxe, and my mom grabbed a shovel.  It was getting dark, so my step dad went in his semi.  I heard rumbling so loud we could barely understand each other when we talked.  His semi had lively little lights on the back that he turned on, so I could see.  He couldn’t position it right in the hole, so he went and rode the lawnmower out the garage. 
When he brought it over, I went under the porch to get the raccoon.  He was a heavy little  guy too.  Under the porch was very cramped, and the raccoon was way in the back under the porch.  I first tried getting it out only using a shovel, but then I thought about using the pickaxe to get it on the shovel.  Doing that took many tries to get it on.  It fell off a couple of times.  The pick axe and rubble hit each other.  I was so worried it was still alive.  I grew close to the opening under the porch, and finally it stayed on.  Through the entire time of trying to get it, I was shaking with fear.  We then took it to a field next to our house.  The shovel banged and clanged when we traveled on the black road, and I threw it in the field.  As the orange sun set, I ran back inside with the biggest smile on my face. I was so glad the deed is done.
After this experience, I knew I would do almost anything for money, I was not interested in doing it at the beginning.  After my step dad said he would give me money, my greediness kicked in, and I did it.  I believe that we all have a greedy side, and when it does kick in, we will do almost anything.