Mountains | Teen Ink

Mountains

February 15, 2015
By jegriswold3 GOLD, Lexington, South Carolina
jegriswold3 GOLD, Lexington, South Carolina
12 articles 0 photos 5 comments

The winding roads mysteriously lead me to ease. The black roads intertwining with possibly the whitest snow. The contrast of Earth's nature vastly angelic. A running brook along the right side of the wet road flows as if it's either following you or being followed, showing the way. Ice sickles hanging from powdered-sugar covered trees. The autumn colors within the hills brings me peace. Leafs falling like my already way-too conformed soul soon to be nourishing the ground awaiting new life. White puffy clouds shielding me from the burns of the past glowing in front of me radiating hope. Thick black birds soaring through the thin foggy sky. Jagged rocks protruding out from the mountain side the words of hurt from every scaring yet minuscule violent action. The cool crisp air suddenly allows breathing to become easier. Fresh air revitalizes my heart. I happen to like gray skies. The small chromatic village-like towns make me feel like I belong. It captivates me. It satisfies my spirit. I'm thinking clear like the uphill sharp-turning road ahead of me. Trees sprawled across the side at random intervals much like the thoughts flooding through my brain. Occasional power lines tell me I have the energy to keep trucking through. Cozy, warm, soft bedding log cabins with a crackling wood fireplace calling my name loud enough to hear from back home. I feel connected to the wildlife. Nature begins to speak to my soul like no other. The occasional deer crossing sign reminds me that we are not the only ones upon this mystical Earth. The small, wooden cross on the side of the road lets me know of the vast dangers the world has bestowed upon us. The accelerator vibrates the car as my anticipation of the indescribable beauty comes closer. The snowcapped roofs as pure as love should be. As I wished it would become. The weightlessly heavy powder falling in-between every crevice throughout the mountainous terrain. As I gaze over the wonderment, eyes wide open with curiosity, I can't help but question how all of this is possible. Worn down antique-like cabins are passed not without great appreciation for then originality of it all. Farmland provides not only food to the hunger of my stomach but the hunger of my mind. I find much beauty in chapped lips, runny, pink noses, glove-covered hands, and hat hair. A switch is suddenly flipped inside of me seeking out all four seasons that can be simultaneously found here. From the sun poking through over the evergreens to the snow-dusted leafs the color of deep mahoganies, crimsons, and rich maroons. Time moves slower up here. In my mind, the word mountain is a synonym for inspiration awaiting to burrow into a long lost soul.
"A man who does not respect nature does not respect man."
-Dave Pittman
This has all shaped my identity in one way or another. Being in the mountains helps me see and feel this vast world. Teaches me about life. About nature. It inspires me in every way imaginable. Being connected to nature here helps shape my identity because there are so many aspects to the world. It's humbling. It's relaxing and peaceful. It shows me that we as humans are not the only ones here and there are more far more important concepts to life than materialistic things. I care about preserving nature and protecting the wildlife. And seeing it in the mountains especially impacts my views for how important all of this truly is. Here, it makes me want to write and draw and take photos and read and drink warm beverages and eat good food and visit small local places and look around in vintage and antique shops even more. Inspiring topics are everywhere here. For me, to experience nature is to experience true meaning of life's wonderment.