Long Lost Lover | Teen Ink

Long Lost Lover

By jegriswold3 GOLD, Lexington, South Carolina
jegriswold3 GOLD, Lexington, South Carolina

My long lost lover isn't my freshmen crush. He certainly isn't my ex. He isn't even Adam Levine. He’s not the guy I long for to text me. Nor is he the guy I stare at during third block.
No my long lost lover isn't even a person. In fact, one could say it doesn't exist. It doesn't exist because I am in full control of finding this long lost lover.
My long lost lover is what keeps me up at night. It greets me at the door, so close I can sense it but never hold on to it. It is who I write to. Who I read to. Who I feed. When I’m sitting in my room drowning out the sounds of people with ear buds blasting music into my ears this is who I drown out the most. As I pour milk into a mug I am covering it. When I sip up the warmth I leave behind a small pool of hot cocoa hoping the lover stays behind. But sometimes I drink up every last drop hoping to find this lost thing.
I run from it. I search for it. I hide from it. I long for it. I can’t make up my mind. Do I daringly listen to my thoughts or do I turn up the volume on the stereo?
  Perhaps someday I will be lucky enough to quench this undying thirst of wanderlust. Perhaps then I will be lucky enough to find my long lost lover. There’s only one problem.
My long lost lover just so happens to be my soul.