Proud Of My Roots | Teen Ink

Proud Of My Roots

By Eidy Liliana Gonzalez BRONZE, Blair, Wisconsin
Eidy Liliana Gonzalez BRONZE, Blair, Wisconsin

My stomach was in so much pain. My whole back tensed and cramped. Cold sweat drenched my hands and neck. My only thought was i needed to reach a toilet! Anywhere! It really didn’t matter, but how could I tell my 6th grade teacher i needed to use the bathroom when the only English I knew was “ hello” and “ bye”? Nobody knew Spanish.

i was registered at school after walking 10 miles with my determined mom and dad who talked with the teachers through sign language and guessing. All my new classmate had given me a disgusting look from the first day I had walked in the school. I was the girl who got picked on a ot. But, I didn't have to wait or get excited to reach adulthood to discover an important law of life. I have learned to let go of my struggles and bad things that happen. Doing this helps me look  to the future.

My parents came to this country in hopes of providing a better life for the family. the sad par is that, this move wasn’t that easy on any of us. MY mom would often come home with her hands and feet full of blisters. Also, My father would come home with tears of anger and sadness after talking about how his employer had cheated him out a month of wages: he worked for a man who was racist against Mexican, Neither of my parents spoke English , and the furthest they went to school was the 5th grade. Because of that, I couldn't go to them for help with school work or any problems. During this time, My parents expected their only daughter who had gone from a school in Mexico to a American school to help them  through any of their struggles and teach them English and how to live an American life.