Top 4 Foods I Tried in 2014 | Teen Ink

Top 4 Foods I Tried in 2014

December 23, 2014
By Jenna Walters SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
Jenna Walters SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

As 2014 comes to an end, I find myself thinking about the new things I tried and experienced this past year. From sushi to froyo, and chai tea to the Wisconsin State Fair’s famous chocolate covered bacon, I’ve had my share of new cuisine. 
I tried sushi for the first time last winter. I remember distinctly it was a cold Friday night and my friends took me, a sushi virgin, out to a local japanese restaurant. I ordered my first rolls (a plate of about 6 pieces of sushi) and fell in love at first bite. I ordered a california roll and a spicy tuna roll, this was playing it safe. 
I was leery of the raw fish, but sushi surprised me. The raw ingredients were not “gross” or “slimy” or any of the other common sushi stereotypes. The ingredients worked together to create a new, fresh taste. I now can’t get enough of it and would encourage any cautious eaters out there to give it a try.
2014 brought me a new favorite sweet treat as well. I discovered frozen yogurt, also known as froyo. Yes, I’d heard about froyo shops before but until this year never tried one out.
Froyo is now my go-to cold treat. I may even prefer it over ice-cream. With so many cute shops around our area, it’s hard not to love all the variety. Shops like Yo Mama’s, Pinkberry, Orange Leaf, and Sweet Frog are local and sharing an array of flavors and toppings. Even Arrowhead has conformed to the new trend, selling froyo in it’s school store.
This fall, I was introduced to another first: chai tea. I was shocked to find that it’s  delicious hot or cold. I now enjoy it in different ways, whether cold after a workout, or warm on a snowy night. It’s a tasty treat that’s a favorable alternative to everyday coffee and can be found at most coffee shops like Starbucks or Stone Creek Coffee.
Last of all, I ventured further than I have before in the culinary world when I tried a not so elegant dish: chocolate covered bacon. I got this interesting eat at the Wisconsin State Fair.  The sweet and salty combination left me perplexed. I didn’t know what I liked better the chocolate or the bacon, but together they were a rare pair, something you would not find anywhere else.
I enjoyed trying all of these unique eats and hope my eating adventures have inspired you to add four new foods to your “Food to Try in 2015’’ list.