My Obstacle | Teen Ink

My Obstacle

By Madison McCorvey BRONZE, Olney, Illinois
Madison McCorvey BRONZE, Olney, Illinois

Helen Keller said, “We can never learn to be brave and patient if there were only joy in the world”. When I was in third grade, I moved from Louisiana to Illinois. My new school was bigger than my old one, and I did not know anyone. Much like Helen Keller overcame the obstacle of communication, I overcame the obstacle of being new at school.
Helen Keller had to overcome the obstacle of not being able to communicate with people. When Helen was a baby, she got sick and became blind and deaf. The Keller’s hired Annie Sullivan to teach Helen. Annie was able to teach Helen trust, obedience, and language to overcome her obstacle.
Like Helen Keller, I also had to overcome an obstacle. My obstacle was moving to a new school and not having any friends. When I moved, I was very shy and unwilling to talk to people, so I realized that I needed to open up more. It took some time, but I was able to talk to people and eventually make friends.
Although our obstacles were different, we shared a few similarities. Helen and I both had a tough time learning something, Helen’s was to communicate, mine was to be more open to making friends with new people. Helen also had a strong support system, her family and friends helping her to keep going, and so did I. Without the support of my family, I do not think that I would have adjusted as well. If Helen’s family had not supported her, or did not think that communication was important, she would have lived a miserable and confusing life.
Helen and I both had obstacles that we had to overcome. The story of Helen Keller taught me to be more appreciative of what I have, and more understanding of others. From my obstacle, I learned to be more outgoing and open to new people. In the words of Winston Churchill, “Never, never, never give up”.