The Obstacle of Two | Teen Ink

The Obstacle of Two

December 5, 2014
By Jake Bennett BRONZE, Noble, Illinois
Jake Bennett BRONZE, Noble, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“LIfe is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood” said Helen Keller. When I was five and in kindergarten I always kept tripping on my laces and had teachers tie my shoes for me. Now it takes me awhile to tie my shoes. Much like Helen Keller overcame the obstacle of not being able to communicate, I too overcame not knowing how to tie my shoes.

Helen Keller had to overcome the obstacle of not being able to communicate. When Helen was a baby, she got sick and became blind and deaf. The Keller’s hired Annie Sullivan to teach Helen. Annie was able to teach Helen trust, obedience, and language to overcome her obstacle.
Like Helen Keller I also had to overcome an obstacle. The obstacle I went through was tieing my shoes. How I overcame the obstacle was going over and over trying to learn the first step of tieing shoes ,and I re-did each step at a time till I remembered it. I ended up learning how to tie my shoes and even though I couldn’t understand a word my mom said I still learned to tie my shoes.
All though our obstacles are different we share a few similarities. Like when she was not understanding what annie was telling her just like my mom telling me how to tie a knot.Then, Helen learned language by learning more of what Annie is saying and me understanding what my mom I was saying. Also in the end, she learned to communicate and I learned to tie my shoes.
Much like Helen Keller overcame the obstacle of not being able to communicate. I too overcame what I learned from Helen was anybody can learn some type of communication. I learned that learning is a hard process ,but when you get use to learning, you will love learning new thing. ¨Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light¨ said Helen Keller.