Untitled | Teen Ink

Untitled

By CarolineHerb BRONZE, Ormond Beach, Florida
CarolineHerb BRONZE, Ormond Beach, Florida

I boarded the bus, waved goodbye to my parents, and imagined the journey I was about to embark. The day ahead of me was long. My excitement had woken me up early; I could barely eat my bowl of cereal entirely out of anticipation; and I then spent many long hours in cramped quarters envisioning the experience I was soon to have. I had packed everything I was going to need – clothes, money, identification, snacks. But who knew that the only things I would truly need were an open mind and heart. The day ended as a new day began; never could I have imagined that my body would feel like it was three a.m. at nine o’clock in the morning. Long gone were the sandy shores of Daytona Beach, Florida as I exited the airport in Shannon, Ireland. Before me lay the grassy fields of sheep, the stone ruins of abbeys, the cultures I had yet to see, and the friendships I would form. Never have I felt closer to forty-five people (my friends: classmates, chaperones, teachers). Traveling to Ireland, Wales, Scotland, and England is an experience I will treasure for my entire life. Not only was I able to take in the beauty of a new environment, to literally touch history that has lived on for thousands of years, to explore new cultures and places, to meet people who differ from those around me, to feel a sense of gratitude for the opportunities I have; but I was also able to broaden my horizons on a smaller scale. I made new friends, people who I now could not imagine my life without; I developed a relationship with my assistant principal, a woman who I admire as a mentor, confidant, and friend. And I began to appreciate the world on a scale much larger than ever before. Seeing new sights was not just an experience that affected me with the “travel bug,” it was an adventure that enlightened me on the wonders of the world on both a broad and narrow spectrum. My gratitude will never live up the utter appreciation I have for the opportunity to open my eyes, mind, and heart.

This past summer I traveled to Europe with a group from my school. This short memoir/personal recollection depicts how my trip affected me.