Woman shelters | Teen Ink

Woman shelters

By itss_briiii_ BRONZE, Bremen IN., Indiana
itss_briiii_ BRONZE, Bremen IN., Indiana

We are all a little weird and life's a little weird. And when we find someone who's weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.
- Dr. Seuss

Women go to rehab, such as a womens shelter like the YWCA in South Bend. They go to get rehab for whatever it may be. It could be sexual, mental, emotional, financial, or physical abuse.
The organization says that they help with any type of abuse. They tell you that once you leave there, everything will be okay. You’re told that no drugs are there, you’re told that you’re safe, you’re told that you’re equal to everyone. Apparently just because you get drug tested twice a month that you’ll stay clean. According to them, it’s a drama free area, you’ll get along with everyone, is what they promise.
The people who are there know differently. They know that you really don’t get the help they need, they know that everything won’t be okay, that drugs are still inside of there, being passed around day by day. Inside you’re separated into two or three different clicks. Whether those clicks be on your ethnicity, religion, how much money you have, what clothes you wear, if you smoke tobacco or not, or if you’re actually trying to get off whatever it may be, or you don’t want to stop. People inside places such as the YWCA know ways to get out of a drug test, they know of places to go get certain things to make them pass a test. Drama… drama is everywhere, no matter what, it is nowhere near drama free there, it’s sorta like, as people say, ”high school all over again.”
The staff at rehabs are honestly trying to make things go back to normal, but then there’s the people that aren’t willing to change, they want to stay on drugs, or keep drinking, or simply just don’t care about getting better anymore. It’s going to be a long road, but things could get better with cooperation, change, willingness.