Broken Family | Teen Ink

Broken Family

September 21, 2014
By lesly_estrada SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
lesly_estrada SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments


It felt like it was just yesterday when the whole family was just enjoying another day of life, laughing and smiling. Dad was watching sports on TV, cheering for his team to win, yelling “Come on, we got this! “. Mom is out back, cooking on the grill making our favorite food, hamburgers. I can hear the sizzle of the burgers as she flips them one by one. My younger sister is upstairs listening to her favorite band “Pierce the Veil”, I can hear from downstairs singing “I'm gonna make a million dollars, ’cause nobody's gonna steal you, no...” My youngest sister is in the living room, having a tea party with her stuffed animals, I look at her as she goes around each stuffed animal asking if they want more tea, she looks at me and smiles. I look at her and I give her a smile back. She asks me if I want to join her tea party and I say “Yes”, and as I get up to walk towards her, I notice she’s standing still… I get near her and call her name “Michell, Michell?” but she says nothing, as if she was frozen. I go walk to my dad and he’s sitting on the couch with a big smile on his face. I call for him, “dad?” He says nothing, also sitting in place like he’s frozen. I decide to go to my mom outside on the porch, she’s standing there with her hand half way in the air about to flip the burger, but she as well, is standing frozen. I run upstairs to tell my sister what’s going on, but as I run up the stairs the singing stops, it’s quiet and I slow down. I walk in the room and my sister is frozen, looking at herself in the mirror. As I turn around, everything goes white. I turn back to my sister, and the whole room turns white. Not a single thing is in the room, it’s empty.  I woke up, gasping for air, confused on what was going on. I stand up from my bed and walk down stairs. Dad isn’t there cheering for his team anymore. Mom isn’t outside making our favorite food. My younger sister and my youngest sister were on the couch watching a movie. Confused about what was going on, I asked my sister “Hey, where’s dad” she looks at me more confused than I am; she asks “What are you talking about?” I ask her again, “Where’s dad? He was down here watching sports.” She looks at me and stayed quiet for a moment. She opens her mouth, and then stops. She starts to say “Dad isn’t with us anymore… mom and dad got divorced about a year ago remember…?” My mom comes in the door, her eyes are red as If she was crying, and I asked “Are you okay?” She replies really softly, “No. I can’t come up with the money for the rent, and we are behind 3 months. The electric bill came in and I have to pay $1,500 by next Friday. If not, they are going to cut it off until I’m able to pay everything off.”  The phone started ringing; I slowly picked it up, answered it, and said, “Hello?” An unfamiliar female voice said “Hi, I’m from Bayard Middle School, it appears that Chantal Estrada has missed 14 consecutive days of school, if this behavior continues, Chantal will have to appear at truancy court, have a nice day, goodbye.”   Who knew that losing one person could make such a big difference in your life?   This will certify that the above work is completely original.


The author's comments:

when poeople lose someone important in their life it changes the way they live , the way they act and their personality...ect, i was one of them that had to experience this .