Theatre > Life | Teen Ink

Theatre > Life

July 11, 2014
By Hails_Was_Here SILVER, San Antonio, Texas
Hails_Was_Here SILVER, San Antonio, Texas
6 articles 0 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I'm dead inside"- Me


Most people have a hobby that is also an extracurricular so they get to do it in school. Some people do band or a sport or even art but the coolest extracurricular they can ever get will always be theatre. You see, theatre is outstandingly rewarding to your body, mind, and soul but certain people see theatre as a boing wimpy class for the weird kids of the school. Today, I will prove them wrong! I will show you how beautiful and amazing theatre actually is and if you’re part of the people, who think theatre is quite boring, let me tell you something. You have a problem! I’m just kidding. You will see at the end of this essay how much you and everybody else in the world really need theatre and acting.

First, theatre does not harm people or animals. Theatre is a human activity that doesn’t really hurt anyone or anything. While we're watching or rehearsing a show, we don’t think about war, crime, or anything bad or evil. We have all of our focus on the show, which is good. Because of this, we as a society needs to devote more of our lives to theatre and the arts, which will make us feel better about our lives and not stressing about life.

Theatre is like storytelling but with multiple people. A play or show has characters, a setting, a plot, and a climax, just like a story or book. Theatre matters, because we can't help it. We love to make stories up and tell them to children, teens, adults, and elders. It's part of what makes us human and not robots.

Third, theatre brings people together as friends or just people who shared a story together. For a performance to happen, anywhere from a hundred to a thousand or more people need to gather in one place for a couple of hours, and share together in witnessing an event that may be beautiful, funny, moving, thought-provoking, or even tear-jerking. And in an age when most of our communication happens in front of a screen, I think that this gathering function of theatre is, in and of itself, something that matters. Some people even get married such as the actors from Disney Land who played as Peter Pan and Wendy and the actors from Doctor who, who played as Martha Jones and Mickey Smith.

Self-expression is very important to all humans. If we live in a world where we can’t show who we are, then how would we survive? Everyone wants to come out and say who they are though some type of art or skill but what if we couldn’t? Theatre is the easiest activity to show whom you are and even let off some stress and steam. We learn so many things about ourselves from theatre by being a different character. We see things through their eyes and we ask ourselves if we like it or not.

Theatre is a great way to learn. Going to the theatre teaches us about people, places, and ideas about different things. Learning in a theatrical setting makes learning more fun than in a class.

Theatre helps us to develop our creativity. As our education system focuses more on the basics like science, technology, engineering, and math, we cannot forget the importance of art. Remember to keep the “STE(A)M” in “STEM!”


The author's comments:
This was for a class I'm taking. Its just an essay but it does mean a lot to me.