The Addiction | Teen Ink

The Addiction

June 7, 2014
By Lialuvz SILVER, Marshville, North Carolina
Lialuvz SILVER, Marshville, North Carolina
6 articles 2 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
There's a million of us just like me
Who dress like me
Walk,talk and act like me
They might just be the next best thing but not quite me
-Eminem


Today i saw an inspirational,spoken word video called Look Up.This video spoke about America's addiction to electronics,social media and internet.The man in this video reminded America that there is world filled with people outside and we are losing personal contact with each other.The video spoke to me in way nothing has for a long time,America is falling into the electronic trap of social media and the internet.Instead of actually going to our friends house we skype them,kik them,send them text messages.Instead of going out and actually meeting new people,we go on instagram and facebook and watch whats going on in their lives without really knowing them.When our friends are sad we can send them a hug emoji instead of comforting them,when we want to show our boyfriends we love them we send them a heart and kissy face emoji.It really scares me that this seems to be my countries future,if only there was a way to convince the people around me and even around the world to give it a rest,to put the cellphone,computer,ipod,smartphone,down and hug their friends,talk to their families and kiss their significant others.Wanting to find more out about this brilliant man who gave the world such truth in such a simple way,i looked up his youtube channel immediately a parody to his video popped up.A parody mocking what he was saying,berating him for just being honest,making light of a truly problematic situation.Because thats just what we do,when somthing cuts too deep or has too much truth we make a joke about it so we can feel better about ourselves.We laugh until we don't take any thing seriously anymore and make excuses that can let us feed our addiction just a tiny bit longer.That was when i realized that me and the author of this video,our words were falling on deaf ears.Nobody will listen because nobody wants to face the truth,no one wants to admit they have a problem because no one wants to stop.People don't want you to tell them their faults they see it as an attack on them so they go into defense mode.Now the internet is not a totally bad thing it has helped further the world in many ways but in a lot of ways it's a lot like pain medication.Just enough can help you but if you have to much it blurs the way you see things and leaves you with a blinding addiction and that's exactly what this social media craze is...an addiction.I can only hope someone will read this and understand what i am saying,relate and maybe help to calm the craze because something has to be done.America is becoming a place of electronically induced socializing and emotion and if this a glimpse of what the future holds,the only path i see is very scary.