Slow Down | Teen Ink

Slow Down

May 15, 2014
By Bethany Houser BRONZE, Chiang Mai, Other
Bethany Houser BRONZE, Chiang Mai, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“Where’s the cashier?” I asked in bewilderment. Small crates of beautiful, carrots, leeks, and leafy vegetables ranging from dark violet crimsons to the soft greens in the iceberg lettuce, lined the inside of a shed-sized store. I had arrived in Grosshtenstockten, a town located north of Bern, the capital of Switzerland, just the day before. Even on first impression, under the hazed, sleep deprived conditions, I noticed the stark differences it had from other European countries I had visited. One major condition that separated this place from the others, was that I was no longer staying in a hotel or a vacant house, as I had when I visited, France, Germany and the others, instead my family was staying with some old family friends of ours.

They were more than gracious hosts, and had surprised us with a lovely breakfast which included, many varieties of cheese, fresh milk (my first time drinking unpasteurised), local made breads, yogurt ( pronounced as jogurt in Swiss German), and a myriad of other-milk based products. After the meal, Leilo, the mother in the family asked if Amanda would take me to buy the vegetables for our salad at lunch. The plan was to hike up the nearby hill and have a picnic lunch there, to get a better view of the Alps and surrounding hills and farmland. After I heard the synopsis for the day, we walked down the stairs and began our journey.

I inhaled sharply the fresh mountain air. I had to take in another mouthful of air, because I was unaccustomed to the elevation. The air was crisp, but lacked the normal amount of oxygen that I was accustomed too. It was as if being a newcomer required you to embrace all the sights and smells. The vibrancy of the hues under the sun illuminated and expanded in my eyes.The lush green farmlands, where the sheep and cattle were grazing, the quaint and artistic town shops, the cobblestone paths, all with the backdrop of the formidable alps rising like crystal boulders. While we were walking, Amanda greeted all the villagers we passed with a phrase according to their status, and her relationship to them. It was all so intriguing.

Another mysterious aspect to their society was that in Switzerland, students would decide whether they would be put in the university track or the internship track. Students with the top test scores , who excelled in English, French and German, would be the ones eligible to go to University. However, unlike the stereotypical connotation of someone who doesn’t go to college, those in the internship would begin working under a skilled mentor at the age of 16. And I’m not just talking about flipping burgers. Most internships took place in places such as, bookstores, restaurants, hotels, factories; many options were available. Amanda, my friend who was but barely a year older than me, was practically an adult. Although daunted by this idea of sudden responsibilities, it was exciting to think about the future. Swiss youth played a huge role in their towns. Much was expected of them. Unlike many places I had been where society considered teens to just be ‘almost’ adults, and would not be a valuable part of society until they crossed that line.

The question still remained; where was the cashier? I peered around the vegetable store yet again. There wasn’t even a place available for a cashier to stand. The whole place was stuffed full with beautiful vegetables. Amanda patiently explained that you place the vegetables according to their kind on the scale, which will show you the price. After that you just paid that amount of Swiss Francs into the box that stood further back on the table.

“Really? Do they trust you that much?”I blurted out, surprised that this could actually work.

“Yes, most people in our village know each other and trust each other, but there is a camera too just in case”, she laughed softly. This idea was foreign to me. Wasn’t it like asking to be robbed? I realized my mind had become inured to American TV stations always reporting on the latest horrendous murders and robberies. I had become callous and distrustful toward many people. This village lifestyle rekindled my faith and kindness in humanity.