Guaranteed Positive Inflection | Teen Ink

Guaranteed Positive Inflection

By JEBurk BRONZE, Santa Ana, California
JEBurk BRONZE, Santa Ana, California

A person’s actions define who they are as a person, although the personality of a person is typically not defined by their actions, but rather their appearance. By this logic a man whose actions differ from his words, is a man who lies to protect his own self-image. His self-image dominates his mind and thoughts, an epidemic in society in which I am a victim of.

I have encountered very few people who live in sync with their thoughts, actions and words. Such a person is the idol I strive to be. I do all the same things that a man I respect would, but for different reasons. As long as the idols I respect see these traits in my actions, I should be happy and satisfied.

Sadly this is not the case. As the same desire that pushes me to be a respectful man in the eyes of myself, destroys my self-confidence. This conflicting mentality results in a paradox of poor mentality which produces a desire to no longer try to be a ‘better’ man. To be a better man is the meaning I have given to my life, but to be ‘better’ implies there is a lesser. I now have just classified myself as a lesser being in my own mind; the only mind I know to be true is now being questioned.

I look at my peers in constant judgment, producing a fear that I am not worthy of their acknowledgement. With any hint of decency shown in a person no longer gains my respect, but rather my jealousy and hatred.

This mindset I have created results in the social isolation from the decent man, only able to associate with the indecent man. An inferiority complex that results in my own mind to question itself and its’ conclusions constantly, only to be answered by arrogance and the act of degrading the same peers I claim to be my equal. There is no true nature in accepting defeat and to call anyone my equal would be an impossible idea that goes against my values and the values of humanity.

Even Ghandi respected a man of peace, honesty and an unbiased mind. This being the man he strived to be, a man impossible to become. One of the most praised and respected man in history had traits of the same inferiority complex that induced segregation, discrimination and the epidemic of social appearance. He had a man in which he envisioned as worthy of his respect, meaning he did not have respect for a man of opposing principles and ideas. This idea produced a lesser man in his own mind, going against the same values he preached and was praised for.

This epidemic is easily treated by the teachings of responsibility and goal-setting. Once these values are practiced and put above all else, the young mind can fully mature and develop into a meaningful adult.

Read this twice if you don't understand it at first, ask questions in the comment and I will answer daily. This is probably a life lesson that most people do not learn until it is too late, so you and I are very lucky to be blessed with this understanding.