Never Give Up | Teen Ink

Never Give Up

The English Alphabet consists of only twenty-six letters. This essay is formed from the twenty-six letters rearranged again and again to make up any possible word. People use these letters to form words to perfect their vows for their special day, but these twenty-six letters are also rearranged to say a final goodbye after ultimately giving up. Some of these letters arranged make up “Never Give Up”.

Giving up on life is quite extreme, but it does happen. I know that for a fact because I have been there. I have been so deep in depression that I thought there was no hope for the day that these thoughts would not consume my life. Arthur Golden once said: “Never give up; for rivers someday wash dams away.” In general terms, this is a wonderful quote to help someone realize that anything is possible, but this also explains suicidal idealization perfectly. The thoughts never stop, even when you’re in an okay mood. The thoughts are constantly there, thinking of all your faults, how perfect the girl over there is. They tell you how worthless you are, how the world would be better off without you. They bring you down every chance they get, and you can’t run from yourself. Every 40 seconds, these thoughts win and someone attempts taking their own life. Eighty-eight people succeed at taking their own life every day. Most people haven’t figured out the key to overcome these thoughts. I think I’ve figured out the key, and I’m willing to share.

The key to overcoming these thoughts is to think of a dream or goal you have. What is your life’s goal? Do you want to raise a perfect all around “American family”? Wonderful! Good for you! Do you want to become a brain surgeon? Even better! My dream is to become a psychologist and help anyone and everyone to realize that suicide is not the answer. My ultimate goal in life is for at least one person to tell me that because of me, he/she put down the gun, rope, razor, or handful of pills; because of me, he/she had new hopes that life will get better. That is the one thing I hope I can look back on and say that I have accomplished.

Realizing that I have a bright future ahead of me, and that I can possibly use my story to help others who are in the same spot I was, has helped me so much on my road to recovery. It is possibly the best thing that has ever happened to me. I realize how much money and work it is going to take to become a psychologist, but it will be worth it. I believe I can help change the world for the better. I went from being ready to give up everything, to being happy most of the time. I refused to give up. I began to have hope that one day, I will change the world. I will continue to refuse to give up on my dreams to make this world a better place. I will continue to refuse to give up on any of my realistic dreams I will have in the future.

So I am going to ask you again, what is your dream? Do not try to tell me that you are too old to accomplish it, or you don’t have enough time or money. The Minnesota State FCCLA theme is “Courage to Pursue, Dreams Come True”. This theme is by far my favorite. It not only pertains to FCCLA, but for all your hopes and dreams. Please, never give up. Never lose hope. Any one of us could change the world in some way or another. How would you want your dreams to change the world? How do you want to be remembered? Would you want to be the one who tried over and over again, or the one who gave up and settled for less than he/she deserved?

I understand if you don’t want to go out and pursue all your dreams, it doesn't always end up the way we would like. For me, please, think about how your dreams could possibly change the world. Never give up on yourself. Never give up on your dreams. Never give up.