A Letter to Know-It-Alls | Teen Ink

A Letter to Know-It-Alls MAG

By transparantspirit434 PLATINUM, Farmington, New Mexico
transparantspirit434 PLATINUM, Farmington, New Mexico

I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. -Hebrews 13:5

People think I’m a know-it-all.

A friend brought this to my attention a while ago, and I can’t stop thinking about it. I fit in with the teachers’ pets and the overachievers – not that there is anything wrong with these people. In fact, they are some of my best friends. But, to clarify, I’m a knowledge junkie, not a know-it-all. If I correct people on their facts, it’s not because I’m trying to show off. I’m actually doing them a favor. Who wants to go around with the wrong knowledge in their head? Besides, most of the stuff I share is fascinating, like the fun facts you find on popsicle sticks or little kids’ shampoo bottles. Who knew that the inventor of the cotton candy machine was a dentist?

Okay, sometimes I overachieve. Yes, I usually ask my teachers how their day is going. I’m not trying to be obnoxious; I’m just trying to be the best person I can be. Maybe I honestly care about my teachers. Maybe I’m a perfectionist. What’s wrong with that?

Well, as I learned a couple of days ago, everything is wrong with that. Apparently, it’s annoying.

Sigh.

So, for all of you out there who understand what I’m talking about because you do the same things I do, here’s a fact that I wish I had known a long time ago: Your classmates are talking about you behind your back. If you already know this, then congratulations. You are not alone.

We are resented for overachieving. We are liked by our teachers yet dubbed uncool by our classmates. We can’t get enough knowledge and can’t wait to share it, yet receive only eye-rolls from our peers in return.

But be proud.

Yes, friends, be proud of your knowledge. Be proud of your grades. Be proud of your never-ending mind full of never-faulted facts. Of your love for reading and writing. Of the joy you get out of shows about astrophysics or the Battle of Yorktown. Be proud. Although we are “annoying,” our love of knowledge and overachievement is a gift. A passion. A springboard for our future. It’s awesome.

If that still isn’t enough for you, keep this in mind; to each other, we are not annoying. We are fascinating. We can be “annoying” together.

Sincerely,

A Proud Know-It-All

P.S. All polar bears are left-handed. Just thought you would like to know.

Qudsia PLATINUM, Aligarh, Other

bravest of you are not those who can defeat a lion but the ones who can defeat anger

Its awesome! Completely relatable.

Ray--yo PLATINUM, Kathmandu, Other

God Makes No Mistakes. (Gaga?)
"I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right." -Liesel Meminger via Markus Zusac, "The Book Thief"

The last fact I did not know (or remember). Thanks :)