Something for Our Loved Ones | Teen Ink

Something for Our Loved Ones

By Vivi. SILVER, Karpenisi, Other
Vivi. SILVER, Karpenisi, Other

"Sometimes talking to yourself can be harder than talking to others.You might have to prove to your own person that you're wrong."

It's 9:30 a.m and I am trying to fall asleep again,since last night I was sick and couldn't sleep.But my mother's voice can't help but wake me up.”What is wrong?She rarely talks that loud on Saturday mornings!”,I thought,until I heard her talking to someone called Mary,and refering to them as “my dear sister”.I entered the living-room where,to my surprise I saw my mother crying while talking on the phone.I didn't want to interupt her,so I stood there trying to figure out who she was talking to,since there was surely no aunt Mary.The phone closes after a while and after a moment of silence,that seemed like an eternity to me,my mother announced that my godfather had died late last night.Heart attack.She was talking to his wife,and they deffinitely were like sisters.They had spent 23 years at the same wokring place.But I could never,ever think of him dying.I thought of everyone else except for him.

We all remember him as the person who was “always laughing”.He never spelled a bad word for anyone.As we say it here in Greece,he was “a piece of gold”.And that is why,no one ever expected him to die.

It was until today,that I realised how we take so many things for granted.Just because,they usually are here,and they don't cause trouble to anyone,we think they will be there forever.Just like flowers.We look at them in the summer,without ever really looking and admiring,because we know that they are a part of our lives,no matter what.Then one day comes,and they never grow again.And we stand there,wondering what happened to them.And then we wish they would grow back again.

The only problem with people,is that we can't actually plant them,and make them grow again.
Once they're gone,they're gone for good.And they remain just a part of the life we once had.We should go back to the dusty photo albums,just to remember their faces.We should watch all old videos,just to hear their laughter for one more time.

And then regrets come,mostly for insignificant things.”Why didn't I visit him on new year's?”.”Why didn't I call him on his Name Day?”,Why didn't I tell him how much I loved him?”.Then we promise ourselves to always be true to the people we love,and express our feelings,but the very next day we still end up not visiting loved ones on new year's,calling them on their name day,or telling them how much we love them.

Well life is nothing.It is not a given gift.It's a right that we happen to have,and we should try to enjoy it as much as we can.Consider it as an advice.Because as it seems,we never really know when the last day of our life in earth will be.

My thoughts after the loss of a beloved person.