Should Students Use Cell Phones In Middle And High School? | Teen Ink

Should Students Use Cell Phones In Middle And High School?

March 28, 2014
By KellyWings BRONZE, Cupertino, California
KellyWings BRONZE, Cupertino, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Have you seen your friends pacing in the campus with a fancy- looking cell
phone in their hands? Cell Phone is a portable telephone that uses wireless to send and receive information. In modern days, people are widely using cell phones for various purposes: Entertainment, communication, and researching. Parents of middle school and high school students should not purchase and let their children use a cell phone due to the fact that they use it for texting, they might loose the phone or get stolen, and they spend their time on games and damaging their eyes.

??Students use their phones for texting more than communicating. According to the researchers at the University of Haifa in Israel, where they focus on the ninth to twelfth grades on cell phone using. They did the survey at three different schools, and out of 591 students, 95% of students indicate that they use their phones in class for sending e-mails or texting, and 94% admitted browsing social media sites like Facebook. Imagine a student sitting in the back of the room and he hides his cell phone in his pencil case. It would not seem odd if he places his hand in the case, pretending to grab a pencil to take notes. But what is the guy actually doing? The most obvious answer is --- texting. The down side of a cell phone is not just making students text in class, and they might get lost.

??Having a cell phone in school can have a great chance of losing it or get stolen. To make it more convenient, students like to put their phones in the pocket of a sweatshirt or a jacket. To make situations more on an edge of a cliff, students play basketball, soccer, and other activities involves running with the jackets that have their phones in. If you see someone who is playing basketball with a bulgy sweatshirt pocket, you should go up to their face and warn them about their cell phone, due to the fact that it is a two- opening pocket. According to an industry report, Americans had lost cell phones that worth around $30 billion in 2011. Furthermore, students play games on their phone, which damages eye vision severely.

Games are the most vicious killers against eye vision protectors. One of many important features that locked students’ eye on their phones is apps, especially those game apps. Due to the advanced computer technology that we use now, and how easily people can access to diverse games through the Play Store, they are indubitable popular among elementary and middle school students. A friend of mine from my sixth grade class has once told me the story of her playing games. She was sitting alone in her own bedroom, not done with her essay, and there was a phone on her study table. She stared at it and attracted to it as it was an aureate crown. Then she began to work on the level that she failed for nearly 30 times, but she kept trying, unwilling to give up. Not until her parents came back from work that she realized she had been playing her phone for 8 straight hours. She did not want and could not tell her parents the truth of her schedule that day. Reluctantly, she lied. It is apparent that playing games on cell phones can severely damage your eyesight. Nonetheless, playing games can help students get relaxed from complex homework teachers assigned, but going for a walk around a park can help you much more than play hours of games.

In conclusion, students in middle and high schools should not have a cell phone. They use their valuable class time to text, they are taking a big responsibility on their phones, and they spend far too much time on games. Let us enjoy our best time of the life, and spend our time to do something really memorable, valuable, and something that we would be proud of when we get old.