What My Dad Taught Me | Teen Ink

What My Dad Taught Me

By Trapped-Magic SILVER, Cave Springs, Arkansas
Trapped-Magic SILVER, Cave Springs, Arkansas

"If you have to live the rest of your life in a memory... you might as well make it a good one"

-Epsilon/Leonard Church from Red vs. Blue Revelation

1. When I was in elementary school my dad taught me about equality.
“No you can’t play with that. “Why not?” “Because only boys play with those, and you’re a girl, so you play with girl things.

2. When I was in Middle School my dad taught me how to be patriotic.
“Now explain to me what this line of the Pledge of Allegiance means.” “Dad, I just played a really tough game, can’t I just rest?” “No, I asked about this now so you have to explain it to me right now.”

3. When I was in Junior High my dad taught me how to be persuasive.
“Do you want to go running with me?” “Not really I have a lot of homework.” “Wow you must think I’m going to run you ragged, don’t you?” “No, I just have a lot of work.” “Yay, yay, I’m sure.”

4. In 9th grade my dad taught me about responsibility.
“Dad I need to go back to school.” “What, why?” “My team just called me and need my help to finish our project.” “We can’t go back, if we do the popsicles I bought from the grocery store will melt.”

5. In 10th grade my dad taught me about self esteem
“I can’t believe you got a D!” “Dad I’m doing my best, I just don’t understand the text.” “Well if you got a D you couldn’t have been doing your best. Try harder.”

6. In 11th grade my dad taught me the best way to keep a commitment
On my weekend with dad: He’s just running late to pick me up
On my dad’s birthday: He didn’t pick up, I’ll try again in 10 minutes
On Father’s Day: He’s not home… Oh well, I guess

7. In 12th grade my dad taught me how to teach
Takes me driving: “You’re doing good, you could probably take your test by the end of the month.” Buys a new car 3 days later: “How are you going to teach me?” “Oh, your Mom can do that.”

8. During that summer my dad taught me honesty
“You got a booth to sell your projects at the Art Convention? I would love to come out and support you.” Waits all three days, and doesn’t see him once

9. Most recently my dad taught me how to choose the best option

“Why do want to go to that school? You won’t get in state tuition if you go there.” “I know, but they have a better Psychology program.” “But it’s more expensive.” “I know, but I already qualify for a lot of scholarships.” “But your college fund is only going to cover 2 year.”

As of today, I am a girl who plays and watches things that are considered to be only for boys, I finish my projects on time, I give everything my best effort, I remember to call and send gifts on special occasions, and in the fall will be going to one of my first choice colleges. I must be one hell of a disappointment.