What to Pick ? | Teen Ink

What to Pick ?

A lot of Christians go to Church to receive the word of God which is the bible, they just go to church to understand the teaching of the Lord and pray. Just like in the Islam religion they believe in one God, Christians believe in one God. He manifest his self in three : The Father, The Son and the Holy Spirit. They believe that God is born from a virgin. Her name is very popular, Virgin Mary. There are basically two Christian symbols. One looks like a fish and the other can be a cross. The cross represents Jesus dying on a cross for our sins, died and rose again from the dead, went back to heaven and one day will come back to earth and the fish is just an acronym for “Jesus Christ is God’s Son”

In Islam they have there own language, Arabic. I want to say Islam started in Egypt or probably just the middle east. A prophet is the sending of a person or something to get God's message across to people. Just like in Christianity the Muslim God, Allah, had many prophets but one that I know well of and heard of a lot is Muhammad. Muslims females are always taught to cover their bodies. Its just like that saying “leave things to the imagination”. Thats why some wear a hijab which is just like a scarf but covering your hair, but a overgarment which covers your full body. When your married through the religion of Islam your husband can tell you if he wants you to wear a overgarment and you can tell him if he can have many other wives. Just because you’re married through the religion does not mean you're married legally . As an Islamic man you are suppose to cuff your pants because some believe that it brings you closer to God and when you go to a Masjid, a place to pray, you don’t want to bring the outside dirt into the place of prayer.

Before I was born my parents were engaged and neither of them wanted to switch their religion for the other. My mom was a Christian woman and my dad was Muslim. Like I said previously as a muslim man you’re suppose to persuade your partner into becoming part of your religion. It’s just how things go. It was hard for them but they made it work. It’s kind of weird thinking about it. When prayer time came my dad would go in the basement on his rug and pray whenever he was suppose to. My mom wouldn’t be bothered by it but deep down she did wish they weren’t living in sin, not married and praying to two different God’s. My mom didn't eat pork so that wasn't a problem between them but during Ramadan, when muslims are fasting they can't eat during the day. She would have to wake up really early and cook all this food for her fiance so he won't starve during the day. Which I think is a right thing to do if you love somebody but it was just a lot and they couldn't handle it. Now they are not together, but are happily married to people of their own religion.

As the baby girl of a Muslim man, I’m suppose to follow after my father. A lot of pressure was put on me to be this and that. After my parents split up they got their own houses and when it was my dad’s weekend we would go over my grandma’s house. My grandma on my dad side wasn’t muslim either nor my grandpa. When my dad went out to the store or off to work my grandma would eat pork rinds which are just pork skin chips. She would let me eat some and tell me to not tell my dad. He never found about our little secret. Furthermore, when my sister became Muslim in 2010 or 2011 it felt like all eyes were on me. Even my sister started persuading me to be Muslim. Telling me to try on a khimar, which is like a scarf to cover your hair, and taking me to buy overgarments for her. I never really cared about her persuading me because I knew what religion I wanted to be. I remember one day thinking that my dad would love her more because she followed after his steps . It wasn’t my fault that I chose to be Christian. Living with my mom as my permanent house, it was easier to be Christian living with my Christian mother. I didn’t want to be like her and my dad. It just wasn’t right to me . I know it wrong to say but I chose the easier route. In the muslim religion there are a lot of rules to follow and I didn't want to become something when I wasn’t going to follow the rules in the end.