Sasquatch | Teen Ink

Sasquatch

January 11, 2014
By briannelee21 SILVER, Princeton, New Jersey
briannelee21 SILVER, Princeton, New Jersey
9 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."


There are many legendary monsters that people are interested in. some of the most popular beasts are Ogopogo, the lake monster, the Jersey Devil (or the Leeds Devil), Windigo, a man-eating beast, and the Fouke monster. Most of these monsters are known for their raging temper or interesting looks. Almost all of the beasts also have been sighted, although those people are not completely sure. Out of all the legendary monsters ever sighted, Sasquatch is the best known man-like monster there is.

Sasquatch is best known for its big feet (hence the nickname Bigfeet). Out of almost 800 footprints sighted, the imprints that were left behind were measured to be about 16 inches long. The footprints that various Sasquatches have left behind have no definite number of toes. Although most primates have five toes, the Sasquatches seem to have from two to six toes. Sasquatches can be from six feet to a little over nine feet tall weighing up to a whopping 500 pounds. Its appearance seems to be a mix of human and ape (if you ignore the height and the foot sizes) with dark brown or dark reddish fur. People who have sighted Bigfoot say that there was an unpleasant smell lingering around this creature.

Most Sasquatch sightings started and were recorded in the 1800s. Since that time, there have been a lot more of Sasquatch sightings. On January 21st, 1855 in Waldoboro, Maine, J.W. McHenry was chopping wood when he heard screams coming from the small forest near him. The source of these screams was a Sasquatch. McHenry supposedly captured and kept it. In 1946 on Bigelow Mountain (150 miles Northwest of Augusta, Maine), a group of four was startled when an enormous man covered in shaggy black fur lumbering towards them. He was holding a large rock and the four people ran away immediately. In Kennebec County, Maine, a woman, while waiting for her husband, saw Sasquatch and honked her horn. It ran away after that.

For many centuries, scientists wondered if Bigfoot was real. After all those years, scientists finally came to a conclusion. On October 1, 2013, a team of researchers screened conclusive evidence that Sasquatch was, in fact, a real creature and not a hoax or folklore. The screenings consisted of several grainy, out-of-focus videos of Sasquatch-like creatures walking around and sleeping near Kentucky. Josh Stevens, a PhD candidate, mapped the 3,313 Sasquatch spots since 1921 and noticed that people seem to glimpse the creature more in some regions than others. There were many sightings around the Ohio River Valley, Mississippi Valley, Sierra Nevada mountains, central Florida, and Pacific Northwest (all information from dailymail.co.uk).

Ever since the 1800s, Bigfoot has been a feared, but interesting creature. The big hairy man-ape with huge feet and a smelly odor was once a legend, but now, thanks to the scientists never-ceasing research, we can now confirm that Sasquatch is real. Although some people may be terrified at the very idea, the thought that Bigfoot is just another animal may soothe them. Lets be sure to treat Bigfoot as equals to us and unlike some other animals, keep its species living.