When You Can't Sleep At Night | Teen Ink

When You Can't Sleep At Night

By BrendaWH BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
BrendaWH BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

“Look like the innocent flower but be the serpent under it.” There are times when you meet an extremely nice person. Little by little this person becomes close to you. Out of nowhere this new side appears, they might become distant. Or they might just hurt you and leave. To you they were the sweetest person in the world, but that was only for show. Truly they were no good. Two faced seems to exist in many of us.

I once knew this guy, lets say his name is Ben. I had met Ben through Facebook, and yes he was a real person. I started talking to him and after awhile we became close, not in a romantic type of way more like a brother sister kind of relationship. He meant so much to me even though I had never met him and we only talked through text messages, he was there for me when I felt the most alone. When I told him that I want to be in a band he supported me. He told me to teach myself to play guitar. If it weren't for him I would have never got the nerve to write songs, to choose music a my major, or even pick up a guitar. We used to talk basically everyday, we would talk until we fell asleep.

Now I find it hard to sleep. I stay awake for hours on end. I’m up because I became use to talking to Ben. And now I have no one to talk to. I don’t understand, I don’t think I did anything wrong. Why is he gone? Sometimes I think, did he just make this up, did he never really care about me. All those words of support and kindness, were they just for show? I messaged him one night, and he told me to get out of his life. There were other harsh words but I rather not say them. Then he blocked me on Facebook. That was it. Just like that. It is was all over. He is gone and I lay awake feeling empty.

Literature repeats this theme over and over. Lady Macbeth, for the play Macbeth is cruelly two faced. She welcomes King Duncan with much honor and hospitality. She throws a banquet in his honor. Behind these kind gestures and warm smile she is his death sentence. As he is at peace in this bed feeling safe and loved by his people. Lady Macbeth is out with Macbeth ready to execute King Duncan’s death.

Now we think, how is it that we deal with these two faced people? It is simple just do not tell a person everything, don't give them your all. And I know you think, but I want someone to tell everything to. As people we can't hold everything in we want to yell out of anger, sadness, hope, happiness. But the the thing is not everyone cares. Sure it seems to be that they are listening but they could care less of what happens to you. You need not to worry because there will be people who truly care you just have to be on the look out. Don't fall for the mask some people wear.