Autograph Essay | Teen Ink

Autograph Essay

By Balla4Lyfe BRONZE, West Melbourne, Florida
Balla4Lyfe BRONZE, West Melbourne, Florida

Getting autographs and game used items from players is definitely one of my favorite things to do. I really enjoy everything about basketball, especially watching it on TV. Getting these things can sometimes be very tough especially when it comes to the better players. I have been collecting autographs and game used from my favorite players for 2 years now. I can still remember getting my first autograph and I always will. It was a very exciting day for me, I was going to my first NBA basketball game and I was definitely looking forward to getting autographs. The date was January 1, 2011, the Oklahoma City Thunder were in town to play the Orlando Magic in the Amway Center at 7:00 PM. One of my best friends at the time, purchased tickets as well, and we were going to watch the game together. I remember waiting during school waiting to get checked out, watching the clock. My dad brought us there 1 hour and 30 minutes early when the gates began to open. When it opened, I immediately ran down to the section where some of the magic players were warming up. I saw Jason Richardson, a former NBA slam dunk contest champion shooting around. When he was done, it looked like he was headed straight for the locker room and it looked like he didn’t have the intention to pick a sharpie up. At the last second, he saw my friend and I calling his name out begging him, and decided to sign really quick. We were in complete shock at the time, so we just stared at him, and just like that he made the day of 2 of his biggest fans. That was the first experience I had with an NBA player, and very easily one of the most memorable. But, the best memory I’ve ever had, has to be when Victor Oladipo, my favorite basketball player ever, left me literally speechless for days. It started with the dream of getting my role model and inspiration’s autograph. I still remember about 75 different people waiting outside his temporary hotel in Orlando, FL. When basically everyone went out to lunch, there was only 4 of us there, Victor suddenly came out and immediately saw us and walked over smiling. He could see by the expression on our faces, how bad we wanted an autograph. He signed for us and talked to us about how everything was going down there. My year was basically made because my inspiration as a player and as a person had a conversation with me. But it wasn’t over; he did something that my little brother and I will never forget. On the last day of the Orlando Summer League on July 12, 2013, Victor Oladipo came out of the Amway Center with a bunch of fans asking him for his shoes and for autographs. We were there to see him come out and congratulate him on the game-winner he hit the game before. He at first responded to the requests for shoes from the fans by saying “Sorry, I can’t” and continued to sign some autographs. He eventually came to the end of the line, looked up and saw my little brother and I waiting there and smiled. He told us that he had something for us and took the shoes off that he wore throughout the league and handed them to us. He signed them immediately after, and told us that he would see us later at some Magic games. He made that ordinary day, into the best day of my life in a matter of a few minutes. To this day, I see Victor at the magic home games and events that the Orlando Magic hold. He is the one guy that I look up to, and try to be like, he is hands down my favorite basketball player and he always will be.