My Bull Riding Wreck | Teen Ink

My Bull Riding Wreck

By levihopkins BRONZE, Dayton Ia, Iowa
levihopkins BRONZE, Dayton Ia, Iowa

The worst day of a bull rider’s life is getting in an accident that takes you out of the season. That happened to me in 2009 in Nebraska at one of my own bull ridings.

I thought it was going to be a normal day, buck my bulls and ride, but I ended up drawling the rankest bull there, Texas Trouble. I was pumped, but when it came to getting on him I was scared. Everyone said, ‘‘Holy crap dude! You drew deep.’’ I replied, ‘’I know I can’t wait.’’ My dad even said,’‘Wow!’’ when he did the draw. I waited and waited till Texas Trouble walked through the chute alley. I put my rope on him.

I said, “Good luck.” It’s my time to show what I got.’’ I had two bulls in front of me. I was ready but everyone was like, ‘‘Relax Levi and GET-R-Done.’’ Now it’s my turn to ride. I sat down on Texas, I warmed up my rope for a little bit, I put my hand in the handle and told my dad to pull my rope tighter so my hand wouldn’t come out. I tied myself in for the long ride. When I was ready I said, ‘‘Buck him,’’ then they opened the gate.

Texas blew out of the chute, jumped twice, and started spinning. I was right there in the middle of his back, I lasted three full 360 degree spin before I started to slide to the side when my dad said, ‘’Let go.’’ There was no way I was letting go. I was still holding onto him when I was under him. You would think it would get better but it got worse. I fell off at 7.96 seconds and got stepped on. I couldn’t move my arm, but I didn’t go to the hospital until the next day when I went to the doctor. The doctor looked at me and said, ‘‘You broke your shoulder, and its going to take you out of the season.’’ After I heard that I freaked out and said.’’I can’t be, it’s my life.’’ It was the worst day of my life. This wreck even took me out of 8th grade basketball.

Bull riding can be hard and you can get killed or seriously hurt. That’s why they say It’s the most dangerous sport on dirt. Oh well, it don’t matter to me, it only makes me want to ride more and more. Rodeo is my life, my big dream, when I grow up I want to be more famous then I am now. I’m famous right now for being the largest rodeo contractor owning eighty-five miniature bucking bulls. I teach kids how to ride bulls and make sure they start out the right way. I want to be famous for being a bullrider. I want to be the next Lane Frost, who was inducted into the Cowboy Hall Of Fame.

Bull riding is my life