What I learned From You | Teen Ink

What I learned From You

By dbk1098 PLATINUM, Rockville, Maryland
dbk1098 PLATINUM, Rockville, Maryland

You were foolish. Yes, it is you whom I am referring to, the boy. I will not flatter you and call you a man. You are earths away from what I would even consider to be “man-like” qualities, whatever those are. Then I woke up. I realized that after all this time that I was not made to suffer from what is formally known as a severe case of passivity. I was meant to live.

So, in other words, thank you. Through this mess, I have gained unrepresented wisdom and a new sense of the level of animosity I am able to endure. Through the hateful words you once spoke, I have found myself. What I mean to say is now I am strong. All thanks to the heartbreak I found in you.

I cannot say that this newfound confidence was an easy feat. The cliché that nothing worth fighting for is ever simple would be written all over the times I spent sobbing on the phone with various friends, listening to upbeat music in order to liven my mood, or even better the typical eating junk food while watching romance unfold via the television. But guess what? Unfortunate as it may be, this is real life.

I do admit it. I still believe in true love. The beautiful, unaltered type of affection you only see in cinemas. Despite what you have just read, I am and always will be what you would call a hopeless romantic, which I presume will always be a part of my identity. I suppose there may have been a point to all of this suffering. Because the true value of what I learned from you is irreplaceable. Unlike the actual human being you are.