Learning to Love It: My Journey Through Music | Teen Ink

Learning to Love It: My Journey Through Music

When I turned nine years old in fourth grade, I was given a rental trumpet for my birthday. Days earlier, I had thoughtfully selected the trumpet as the instrument that I would learn to play in the school band. I chose to play an instrument because my mother was a skilled violinist, my father had been a talented french horn player, and my older brother and sister had both played in band. I did it because that I felt like that was just what you were supposed to do, because all my experiences pointed to that. I was excited because it brought the prospect of new and exciting experiences, but I wasn't that into the actual musical part of playing the trumpet. I was just excited to make noise and do something new.

I enjoyed my experiences in the elementary school band, and I progressed to some degree in my skills on the trumpet. However, by sixth grade, I was starting to lose interest. I was practicing less, and I became more and more bored in band. My teacher noticed this, not only in me, but in my classmates, and gave us a stern lecturing during our group lesson one day. I will never forget how he scolded us for not practicing and not committing ourselves to the art. Instead of yelling, he softly yet intensely whispered every word, like a hissing rattlesnake preparing to uncoil and strike. I was quite afraid of him by the end of the lesson.

I find it rather amusing to look back and say that my personal journey towards gaining a passion for music starting by being terrified into practicing more. Over Spring Break that next week, I practiced probably three times as much as I usually did. Out of fear of the wrath of my teacher, who in reality was kind and supportive, I kept that rate of practice up for the rest of the year. After that school year, I participated in the summer band program for the first time, was introduced to other trumpet players from the other middle school, and committed myself to becoming as skilled as they were. The next year, I decided to audition for the school's jazz band. I made it into the group, and although in hindsight that band sounded horrendous, I had a wonderful time and began to really enjoy playing the trumpet.

By the end of my years in middle school, I had worked through the trial of getting braces, which hampered my ability to play the trumpet. Through hard work and commitment to adjusting the way I played so I pushed the mouthpiece against my mouth less, which was good for my technique, I was able to learn to play without pain. This benefited me greatly even after my braces were removed. I had also grown in ability to the point where I was first chair in my grade.

I had taken private trumpet for about a year and had learned how to practice effectively and how to truly progress in my mastery of the instrument. These lessons helped me to not only enjoy playing the trumpet, but to enjoy practicing and watching as I became more and more able to play what I was given. As I got better, playing became more fun and exciting. As playing became more fun and exciting, I wanted to get better. This led to a cycle of practicing and improving that really helped me to love playing the trumpet.

That summer, I followed the footsteps of my older brother and joined the marching band. There, I learned discipline, commitment, and hard work. I also met some of my best friends in that group. I was also re-introduced to competition from the other school, whom I had equaled by that point.

That following school year, I joined the freshman choir, where I met the school's choral director, who has become one of my personal heroes. He taught me everything that I know about singing and helped me unlock an area of music that has allowed me to express myself better than in any other setting. Choral music is a very powerful and emotional musical medium, and I have had some very special experiences singing in the choirs at my high school. After a wonderful freshman year of choir, I auditioned for the top curricular choir at the high school, and made it with one of the top audition scores. I was also elected to serve as president of the sophomore choir. As president of that ensemble, I was able to teach the choir a piece and conduct it in the spring concert. That experience taught me a great deal about how to lead, and it was a great opportunity that helped me advance as a musician as well.

My sophomore and junior years, I made both the top jazz band and the symphonic band. These groups have allowed me to explore my skills and passion for the trumpet in new ways in a setting with others who possessed similar passions and levels of commitment. I was also able to participate in the chamber choir, which is composed of the most accomplished singers in the school. This group led me to some of my most cherished musical moments in my high school career. It also allowed me to participate in the PMEA choir program, which included an all-district choir, and all-region choir, and an all-state choir. I was able to participate in groups full of students from other schools that shared my passion. Through stressful auditions and weeks of practice, I was able to advance through the levels and qualify for the All-State group as a junior. This is an accomplishment that I am very proud of.

At the end of my junior year, I was elected as secretary of the music honors society and my school, as well as president of Master Singers, the top curricular choir. I am looking forward to my senior year, during which I will be able to participate in several more musical groups and take a leadership role in many of them. I am excited to be able to lead younger students and help them to gain the same passion for music that I have gained through my years in the music program.

My wonderful experiences in music throughout my early life have had an enormous effect on me. I cannot imagine my life without the blessings of music. I am even considering to major in music in college, and I am determined to continue my involvement in music for years to come, no matter what I end up doing. I am grateful to everyone who has been able to assist me in realizing the depth of my love and passion for music, and I look forward to my progression over the next several years to the next stage of music in my life.