The Email that Changed My Life | Teen Ink

The Email that Changed My Life

By 105268 BRONZE, Walker, Michigan
105268 BRONZE, Walker, Michigan

The Email that Changed my Life
Personal Narrative
Have you ever had a best friend that you did everything with? When I was younger, I had a best friend. We did do everything together- from birthday parties to sleepovers. She was my best friend for about seven years, starting when we met in Young-Five’s. We had a great friendship; until about Fifth grade, when I received a horribly mean email from her.
O yay, a new email! I thought to myself. I wonder who it’s from? I clicked open the email. JEN! I wonder what she has to tell me? My heart dropped as I began to read the long email. She sent me hate mail telling me that I needed to change who I was. She told me everything that she didn’t like about me and attacked me as a person. Did Jen really mean what she sent? Am I a bad person? Questions ran through my head. I burst into tears and ran to find my mom.
I remember crying- lots of crying. My mom explained to me that she was cyber-bullying me. She never would have said those things to my face. I had never felt so horrible in my entire life. I wanted to crawl into a hole and hide. My mom talked to her mom and she sent me another email apologizing. But it was too late, the damage was done. My heart was broken. This friendship was changed forever, just like me as a person.
Because of that experience, I learned to stay true to myself. I didn’t do anything wrong. I can’t let what other people say about me change who I am. I learned how it feels to be cyber-bullied. Now, I can help someone if it happens to them. I am always careful on what I say or text to someone. I try to include those who are left out and stick up for other people. I don’t want anyone to go through what I did.
People should think about what they are saying or typing before they say it (or send it). My cyber-bullying experience changed me a lot. I don’t regret it happening, because it made me a better person. I am proud of who I have become.