Personal Narrative | Teen Ink

Personal Narrative

April 11, 2013
By Anonymous

Personal Narrative

She stood in the corner, facing the wall murmuring to herself, hands warm and clammy from perspiration. She must have rehearsed this speech over a million times, but it still had to be perfect, mistakes were not an option. The host called for her presence on stage. Her chest rapidly enlarged and then declined as she started fanning herself with her already crinkled paper, her face a plush shade of red, and nothing but worries written on her forehead. It was obvious the nerves and anticipation were taking control of her body. I wasn’t worried though, I knew she could do it.
She carefully walked to the stage, slowly and hesitant, as if there was someone behind her, warning her to go the opposite way, telling her she is making a huge mistake. She looked into the audience, terror stricken and horrified by the number of people staring at her, so she glanced at me for guidance. I smiled and gave that nod of encouragement she needed, followed by two thumbs up. She gave a final sigh, and began. I knew she could do it.
She was amazing. She did not hesitate once. She delivered her speech to perfection. Everyone was in tears and awe, standing to their feet and applauding until their hands fell off. Her smile was priceless, so beautiful and inspiring. I knew she could do it.
What made me teary-eyed though, was when she took the time to thank me. You see, this person I’m talking about has autism, and has been living with it her whole life. Battling judgment, and acceptance of her peers for as long as she can remember, it was hard for her to open up to people, in fear of being made fun of, or just push to the side.
Everyday she faced obstacles, and I would watch as she overcame each one. Overtime, we became best friends. She helped me to create a voice, and believe in myself as much I believed in her, and to have her call me her inspiration came to me as a shock, and was more than I could ask for, because she was mine. I was still on my feet, clapping my hands together, and shouting her name. She has come so far, and to be awarded this honor as Best Buddies Ambassador was a huge accomplishment, and just proved that her genuine personality and creative ways of thought were characteristics that all should embrace. I knew she could do it.