Any Hour in the Saddle is Never Wasted | Teen Ink

Any Hour in the Saddle is Never Wasted

By Sarah Emily BRONZE, Horsham, Pennsylvania
Sarah Emily BRONZE, Horsham, Pennsylvania

I sat down at the table and gulped down half of my orange juice and put the other half in the sink. “You’re not going to drink the rest?” my mother stated as soon as she saw me put the cup in the sink.

“You know I don’t like to eat or drink a lot right before I ride. I’m going to go get my helmet and gloves then hop into the car,” I replied with my voice sounding a bit shaky. I went upstairs and put the soft baby pink collar around my neck. I wasn’t sure if I put it on too tight or if it was because I was the most nervous I’ve ever been in my life. I can’t believe I agreed to sign up for this! I’ve done tiny competitions before, no big deal honestly. A horse show though, that was such a gigantic step. Hopefully my horse and I cannot just be partners today, but teammates.

I fumbled out of the car and glanced down at my polished boots, and I noticed they were already dirty. I glared around and there were like a hundred cars here! Like a cheetah I sprinted into the barn before I could see how many people were here. The smell of the old creaky barn filled my nose, the crispy brittle pieces of hay and oats. The soft whinny of the horses relaxed me so much I felt like I was about to fall asleep. I carried my heavy feet to Dragon’s stall and whispered to him gently, “Today’s our big day.”

I gave him a soft kiss on his snout and held him in my arms. “You be good boy for me today alright?” I stated as I started to twirl parts of his mane around my finger. He swiftly pulled his head up and replied with a tender whinny that echoed in my ear.

I giggled, “I guess I’ll take that as a yes.”

A cute blonde haired girl named Perry said quietly, “Hi, I have to get Dragon ready because my class is coming up soon.”

So I helped her tack him up, I was nervous for her and she even told me so herself. I instantly mouthed good luck to her and she immediately reacted with a beaming smile.

Perry trudged out of the ring and handed me Dragon’s reins. I could sense she was melancholy about the color of the ribbons, but I had to focus on me at this point.

The voices of hundreds of people, and the whinnying of the horses started to become a threat to me. I glanced down and the reins were shaking in my hand, I took a deep breath and hopped onto his chestnut brown saddle. I pinched his side with my foot and Dragon and I carefully took our first step together in the ring. I took a huge gulp and my throat already started to feel dry, but it felt kind of good for some reason.

I got startled and out of focus and suddenly heard the announcer note, "You are all now being judged at a walk, you are all now being judged at a walk." I focused straight in front of me, but suddenly out of the corner of my eye I could detect the judge staring me down. I saw her pencil moving furiously like I was doing something that needed to be noted NOW, but I didn't really know until she announced who claimed the blue ribbon. I swallowed down the fear that had been stuck in the back of my throat the whole time I was riding. Last thing I did was take a deep breath and shut my eyes to a place where you don't even exist.

I stumbled over to the judge’s stand and got handed one of my most prized possessions yet, the champion ribbon. I was ecstatic, and sprinted over to Dragon’s stall and requested my mom to take a picture with all my ribbons. I murmured under my breath lightly, “Thank you so much.” I then gave him a good pat on his back and that’s when all the dust and dirt flew off of his neck from the ring. This was the start of a new beginning, the start of something extraordinary and I was sure of it. Even if I got last place honestly I wouldn’t care at all. My theory is any hour in the saddle is never wasted, and that’s a theory I would like to believe for a lifetime.

I hope I can always cherish this moment and remember it for a lifetime. Horses and the sport itself are just something I love to do and hopefully I can continue doing it for a while. I love that magic glow in their eyes, the strength in their legs, how their mane swifts and flows in the wind, but my favorite is how they can be your best friend. I felt that day Dragon had become my best friend. From now till’ forever, we could accomplish anything. This is why I ride.