Endurance | Teen Ink

Endurance

By stupendousman BRONZE, Peoria, Arizona
stupendousman BRONZE, Peoria, Arizona

"Hey, guys, if there's no wind, there's nothing to blow the leaves around." - from "Sons of Provo"
"Tough times never last, but tough people do"
"the best things in life aren't things"

When I was little, unhappiness was foreign to me. For every minute of my life, I would be running, jumping, skipping, laughing. Always laughing. Laughing at the littlest things, giggling at the slightest pleasure. Life was adventure. Adventure being playing “don’t-touch-the-hot-lava” and making sand gardens. Adventure being finding slimy worms under rocks and chasing after lizards in the backyard. Adventure being dressing up in princess gowns and asking my mother: “do I look fancy?” I wouldn’t waste a minute of my life.

All those years, I didn’t have a care in the world. All those years, I was happy. It’s funny how fast things can change.

When I was nine, I was diagnosed with juvenile fibromyalgia. I would feel tired often, and muscle pains occurred regularly. I didn’t run much anymore. I didn’t laugh much anymore. From then on, I got through life instead of actually living it. Besides physical pain, I was hardly aware of much change in my life. Everybody noticed how differently I was acting except me. Other kids would ask me “why don’t you smile?” or “why don’t you laugh?” I never had an answer. People thought I was boring just because I was serious. But in a way, I guess I was. My friends, who laughed often, and ran often, began to drift away. I guess I turned invisible. They would talk to each other, but not to me. Maybe they thought I wouldn’t listen. Maybe they thought I wouldn’t care. But pretty soon, my friends were gone.

It wasn’t like I tried to be miserable. To be honest, I didn’t even notice that I was. But one day, my mom said: “you used to be so happy, what happened?” And it finally occurred to me: I was unhappy.

From then on, I tried to start anew. There was one girl who was in my class a couple years ago, who was quiet, but had a couple friends. I started to talk to her and hang out with her. Soon enough, we became very good friends. This was the first bit of happiness I’d had for a long time. I started to laugh again.

For the first time, I wasn’t enduring. I was fighting.

Today, I still have fibromyalgia. Lately, I’ve had a lot more pain than usual. But I am fighting it. I will always fight it. And I will always laugh.

stupendousman BRONZE, Peoria, Arizona

"the best things in life aren't things"

thanks! :)

ClaireBearH PLATINUM, McLean, Virginia

It is during our darkest moments that we must focus to see the light.
Aristotle Onassis

Wow this is really touching and sad! really nice!

stupendousman BRONZE, Peoria, Arizona

"the best things in life aren't things"

thank you!

Basilisk0wl said...
Basilisk0wl, Colchester, Other

Mad Hatter: "am i going mad?"
Alice: "Yes, you're mad, bonkers, off your head. But i'll tell you a secret... All the best people are."

I really like this, I can relate a bit too, well done :D

stupendousman BRONZE, Peoria, Arizona

"the best things in life aren't things"

thank you so much!

bagley777 GOLD said...
bagley777 GOLD, Tucson, Arizona

Love is a two way street. If you find yourself on a one-way road, it's time to take the next turn off.

This is a very touching story. I can relate a little bit, having some health problems of my own. (Nothing like that, though!) Very good writing too! Love it(: