General Hospital - I just can't cope without my soap! | Teen Ink

General Hospital - I just can't cope without my soap!

June 14, 2012
By Palrice8 PLATINUM, Lynn, Massachusetts
Palrice8 PLATINUM, Lynn, Massachusetts
48 articles 4 photos 37 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Face the downs and be grateful for the ups." - David Archuleta


I started watching General Hospital back in 2008. My mom has been a hardcore GH fan since she was 10 years old, and was always watching it while I was growing up. It all started with my aunt, then my mom got into it, then cousin got into it, and then me. I like to call it the Four Generations of General Hospital watchers. Finally, at the age of 13, I started getting into it. I fell in love with Spinelli, was shocked by Michael getting shot and I needed to know what was going to happen to Lulu and Johnny!

Now, four years later, a LOT has happened in Port Charles. Characters have come and gone; there’s been births and deaths; couples have gotten together, broken up, cheated on one another and there’s been a total of three Michael’s. My motto is: If you miss a minute of General Hospital, you miss a lot!

But I‘ve never missed a minute. I’ve been here for it all. I’ve been watching GH religiously for the past four years, and I’ve come to realize that, simply, I don’t know what I would do without this soap. It’s been a huge part of my life and has definitely made a big impact on it. It’s been something I look forward to every day, sometimes being helpful., and sometimes just a distraction when my own life is turning into a soap opera. I’ve laughed, I’ve cried, I’ve squealed over my favorite couples, I’ve shouted at them from the couch when they’re doing something stupid and I even look up to some of them.

It’s true what they say about soaps, that you watch these stories every day, inviting these characters into your home and you get to know them. After a while, their problems become your own and you just want the best for them. It’s almost like they’ve become friends, family. They may be fictional, but when you escape into Port Charles for an hour each day, you’re experiencing it all right along with them. At times it can be exciting, other times so sad that it becomes hard to watch. Not to mention those cliffhanger Fridays!

I don’t care if soap operas get a bad rap, I’m a proud General Hospital watcher and I want to make it known. It’s my favorite show, and though I wasn’t there for Luke and Laura’s wedding or when there were more than two Quartermaine’s bickering in the house, I’m still happy to say that I’ve been a part of the almost fifty year long General Hospital era. Here’s to another 50 more!