HOBY: My Life Changing Experience | Teen Ink

HOBY: My Life Changing Experience

By iDaReToDrEaM13 SILVER, Sharon Springs, New York
iDaReToDrEaM13 SILVER, Sharon Springs, New York

"By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest."
Confucius

HOBY, the Hugh O'Brian Youth Leadership seminar, was an absolutely life changing experience for myself. I attended the NYE (New York East) seminar that was held in Troy, NY, which is just outside of Albany. When I first arrived at RPI (Rensselaer Polytech Institute) I had no idea what to expect.

I was quickly signed in and ushered to my dorm where I learned that I was a lucky individual who ended up not receiving a roommate. As soon as I was settled into my room, I heard furious knocking on the door. Upon opening it, I was grabbed by the wrist and rushed outside where I was shoved into a group of strangers around the same age as me. We then began our five minute journey up and down stairs, through partial hallways and finally we arrived at the 87 Gym. The second I walked through those doors, I was astounded. Everyone was screaming and cheering; colors everywhere. I arrived at my assigned table, Silver-C (Woot Woot) and quickly felt welcome. All of my team members were so kind, outgoing, funny and completely understanding. There was no point in time where I didn't feel welcomed. That is how this experience was life changing. Throughout the weekend I realized how important volunteerism was to a community as well as individuals. I learned how to be a good leader, and how important it was to patiently listen and understand, as compared to simply speaking and not letting others be heard. Spending three days at HOBY truly changed me for the better. No longer will I ever feel hopeless, worthless, unneeded, or like a burden. I now realize my purpose in life, and that is to succeed, be a leader, help others, and impact the world. I want to have an impact and truly make the work a better place; that statement may be cliche, but it is the truth. HOBY made me who I now am, and I am truly proud to say that I love HOBY and it is a major part of my life.

HOBY is a wonderful program that truly helped me realize my potential and purpose in life, as well as it helping so many others realize the same. HOBY is truly OUTSTANDING *clap* WOOO!

carothesparrow GOLD, Lilburn, Georgia

dont give up she will talk someday my friend made this quote she is really cool cause she understands about my sister
it starts with ONE to make a differerence!!! i learned this quote at a leadership camp

ohana means family no one gets left behind

amazing way to say it hoby is outstanding clap clap huh!!!