Outsider | Teen Ink

Outsider

By Setpatarc SILVER, Mooresville, North Carolina
Setpatarc SILVER, Mooresville, North Carolina

"Good and Bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Floated. Drifted. Snuck. Lied, cheated, manipulated. I’ve done it all. I’ve been the fly on the wall and the vault of secrets. I’ve done whatever it took to break in to every social circle imaginable. I eat lunch with the nerds, hang out after school with the popular kids, I mix with the gossipy girls and get the dirt on everyone. So, why can’t I worm my way into them? Being a guy makes it a little harder sure, but it’s never presented much of a challenge before. All things considering, I’ve done pretty well; no outsider has gotten anywhere near the level I have, but it’s still not enough. They stick to themselves, they have their own inside jokes that are 3 years strong, they all share each other’s secrets and there are no drifters. There’s no one I can make friends with and use to get in. I don’t want to just be friends with them but know everything… Their secrets, their histories. I want to know them better than they know themselves, just like I do with everyone else. But I can’t. They are impenetrable and I only have a year left. I only have a year to get in before college makes it a worthless endeavor. I best get going. I have a lot to do.