Once Upon A Time | Teen Ink

Once Upon A Time

By SN3RD BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
SN3RD BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona

"I'm the bugs bunny, and if you ain't got my carrots, you ain't got nothin' for me!" --Nicki Minaj

In high school you’re unfortunately surrounded by hundreds of couples. And if you’re not one of them, it plummets your self-esteem. That was me once upon a time.

Once upon a time I used to believe I had to follow the ways and trends of girls who did have boyfriends, so I could snag one myself. And the girls at my high school weren’t the best examples to follow after. Short skirts, cleavage barring shirts, and tons and tons of make-up.

I believed that I had to lose the glasses if I wanted to attract a guy. I used to believe my glasses were holding back the only feature on my face I did like. But then there were other problems. Almost every girl with a boyfriend had to be a size two or zero. So I went on diets that would restrict me from eating more than eight hundred calories a day. I noticed that every girl with a boyfriend had her backpack swapped for a purse and binder. And maybe at this point I realized, there was so much more I’d have to do.

I’d have to hang out at the football games, wearing outfits that would catch a guy’s attention. Instead of sitting in the stands with the normal students I’d have to lean up against the fence and scream for the football players. For homecoming and dances I thought I needed an extremely tight fitting dress or skirt that would have a guy do a double look. I think the worst part was thinking I’d have to dance sleazy for a guy to want or like me.

The sad thing is I wouldn’t have came to this realization on my own. I had made a whole new ballpark of friends to be able to get to know more guys, so none of them knew me before I decided to make this transformation. I wanted more than anything to be loved. I wanted to have a guy tell me that I was beautiful because otherwise I wouldn’t believe it for myself.

I finally met that guy. And that guy didn’t look at the outfits or make-up I wore. He looked deeper. He didn’t desire the chick I thought I had to be for him to like me. I won him over by just being me. Isn’t that ironic?

I wrote this for girls who might feel like they’re going to be alone for the rest of their lives. I want you to know that he’s out there, and he’s coming for ya soon. I want you to understand you don’t have to change who you are, because who you are is really all that he wants.

I have a ton of friends coming to me on advice on guys, or their boyfriends who are mistreating them. This isn't only for them, but for every girl out there.

SN3RD BRONZE said...
SN3RD BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona

Please keep your comments positive and constructive. We'll remove anything inappropriate. Thanks!

albinotiger GOLD, Gloucester, Massachusetts

"Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win"- Stephen King
“In life, unlike chess, the game continues after checkmate”- Isaac Asimov

this poem was great it seems as if it is talking to me personally!!

Wonderment DIAMOND, Scranton, Pennsylvania
Love it! I think its so relatable to alot of teenage girls :) Im so glad you have the right guy now.

futurenovelista SILVER, Staatsburg, New York

"But I being poor have only my dreams...I place my dreams at your feet. Tread softly for you tread on my dreams." -Yeats

I loved this! I have literally gone through these exact emotions, and this post reminds me of how naive i once was...Great read, i truly enjoyed it.

aurum_angel BRONZE, Hingham, Massachusetts

'I’m Nobody! Who are you?
Are you–Nobody–Too?
Then there’s a pair of us!
Don’t tell! they’d advertise–you know!

How dreary–to be–Somebody!
How public–like a Frog-
To tell one’s name–the livelong June-
To an admiring Bog!'
-Emily Dickinson

Nice job! I can totally relate to this. I tried to change myself because no one liked me, and it ended quite badly.

Keep writing! Great piece!