I carry your heart, I carry it in my heart. | Teen Ink

I carry your heart, I carry it in my heart.

October 6, 2011
By Anonymous86 SILVER, Amsterdam, Other
Anonymous86 SILVER, Amsterdam, Other
5 articles 1 photo 0 comments

When a person dies, their loved ones always seem to describe the same phenomena, that it’s so strange the person is just not there any more, there is just a gaping hole left on earth where that person used to be, but you are the only one able to see it. No one else cares, everyone moves on but you. I never really hear people talking about losing a pet, people seem to feel that losing one is not nearly as sicgnificant as losing a human being. I look at restaurant owners who don’t let dogs in to their restaurants, claiming they don’t want the carpet to get dirty, some lame excuse for not feeling the same way about animals as humans. I lost my dog the day before yesterday. Her name was Laika and she was three years old. She was always happy to see me, galopping towards me when I came home. In the evenings when I would be sitting on the sofa she would rest her little head on my legs and look me in the eye, hoping I would let her up too. I did of course. Sometimes she would stay on my bed, in these cases she would be so excited. She loved everyone, everyone loved her. Her only problem was other dogs, she would get really afraid of them when we went to the park, usually she would just want to walk back home. She never let me down, was always there for me when times where rough, the past year has been a rollercoaster down all the worst things that could possibly happen road, and her being hit by a stupid driver driving way too fast and not even stopping made the rollercoaster the most scary one possible.

Now the time has come for me to grieve and move on, but I don’t know how to do that, `i think people don’t know how to react when I say what happened, partly because according to them it’s ‘just a dog’. She keeps popping up everywhere, Everywhere I go I secretely hope she will follow. I begin to weep just at the sight of her lead. My life at home was built around her, when I woke up in the morning I would feed her or take her for a quick walk, just as in the evening. She and my father would came to pick me up from the busstop too. Things like these are hard, it’s going to take some getting used to, even though I don’t want to. She didn’ t deserve this. She was my best friend. I will miss you Laika.