Take Another Look | Teen Ink

Take Another Look

By Fiero24 BRONZE, Ettrick, Wisconsin
Fiero24 BRONZE, Ettrick, Wisconsin

"I give everything a chance, but I dont expect one back."

Look at me. No, again. What do you see? Do you see the pain? The 99.9% of me being sure?

I didn't think so.

About 500,000 people of all ages in the United States-including me- has been infected with a certain disease. Disease being a big word and all because most of the population will think you are nothing but a piece of "infected trash" that shouldn't be alive on this planet which we all share!

Well, do you want to get rid of a teenage girl? Do you want to get rid of somebody you love?

The thing is: this disease can only spread from blood relatives. So, you can't catch it from a touch or a sneeze! This disease is though uncureable-which is a horrible thought, but yet it takes disease in its name?

Well, for a teenager, it ain't pretty when you want to be the "normal" one.

Crohn's Disease gets worse over time and the symptoms are excruciating pain because I would have to make sure I'm near a bathroom and I would sometimes give up on special occasions with my friends! Even at school, I felt like I didn't want to be there because I would stay away from everyone and constantly leave to go to the bathroom.

I became a loner.

Soon after a long year of not knowing what was wrong with me, I dropped school and became homeschooled. I couldn't stand the pain no more or the taking of five to six pills a day to feel a quarter normal!

The thing is: I was never normal and I always knew that from fifth grade when the doctors didn't check for Crohn's. Of course it makes me mad, hurtful, and excruciating thoughts of hurting myself was unbearable for a teenager like me. Crohn's symptoms were so horrible that I hardly ate and then I became known as the "anorexic" one.

Crohn's Disease has ruined half my life and I wished I could have done things differently. I don't want it to ruin anymore teenagers lives, so hopefully you speak to your doctor (that's why God gave us mouths) and there are options instead of running away like I did. Take a chance sooner or later because you may end up like me who just let them pass by for years.

I wrote this piece because I wanted people to know what I've been through for years and I want more people to speak up. It really doesn't matter if you have a disease! You shouldn't be ashamed for who you are.

Fiero24 BRONZE said...
Fiero24 BRONZE, Ettrick, Wisconsin

Thank you :-)

I loved how simple and short you explained your experience! I agree with all the comments before and I wish you luck in your life ahead :)

Fiero24 BRONZE said...
Fiero24 BRONZE, Ettrick, Wisconsin

Yeah im glad too! Thanks!

BonzF said...
Five or six pills a day? That's a lot I'm glad you stopped and this is well-writtened! Keep up the good work!

stagefreak61 said...
I feel like there's more to this but otherwise keep writing it's good and inspirational! I hope life turns out in the end! And I totally agree, I've been seeing a lot of commericals about Crohn's, we should pay more attention to this!

Fiero24 BRONZE said...
Fiero24 BRONZE, Ettrick, Wisconsin

Thank you! :-)

samwich7 said...
samwich7, No, New York
You are a very brave person. I am going to rate this 5 stars. Keep up the great work.

Fiero24 BRONZE said...
Fiero24 BRONZE, Ettrick, Wisconsin

Thanks and I'm getting better as well as stronger. I've changed and became more social now and I'm proud of me. Please keep commenting and rate if you can :-) thank you

Talk-a-lot98 said...
I've been seeing a lot of Crohn's commericals lately. I think that Crohn's is very important and doctors should look more closely. And im not the one who likes going to the doctors but I will go if I have to. Keep writing and hope you do well :)

drust27 said...
I never real comment on articles, but this one really made me stop and actually think. I used to be really mean to this one kid who later on was diagnosed with cancer. I felt really bad because I called him baldy and stuff. I hope you do get through this and this was the first time I heard about Crohns. Keep writing and hopefully people will treat people more better than I did. I feel like a loner now and I wish to stay like that.

kamcelmir said...
I'm glad you got better because being social is a key in life. Hopefully more teenagers learn from ones mistakes and talk to their doctor. Disease doesn't mean you should give up, but it makes you stronger. Keep writing it shall make a difference in the long run!

stormed1 said...
Wow I can't imagine what you gone through! I'm glad you got through this and hopefully it gets better! Keep writing! :)