Thank You, For Everything | Teen Ink

Thank You, For Everything

September 25, 2011
By Piepiepie SILVER, Lakewood, Colorado
Piepiepie SILVER, Lakewood, Colorado
8 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
Be yourself. Everyone else is taken.
~Oscar Wilde


“This container of sand goes to Robbie.”

Mr. Augustine’s eyes start to tear up.

“ As Robbie walked out of school every single day, he said thank you. At first, I was a little confused,” A tear rolls down his cheek, I glance at Robbie, who is staring avidly at our teacher. “ After about a week of this happening, I asked Robbie what he was thanking me for. Robbie didn’t really know what to say. He said that he was thanking me for being here. The next day, Robbie walked in and came up to my desk. For taking time out of my day to help kids get a better life. Then Robbie walked away. As I think about it later in the day, I realize what he was talking about. ”

As Mr. Augustine continued talking, I noticed my classmate’s eyes filling up with tears. I felt the burning sensation in the back of my throat. I wanted to be strong but this was too big of a moment.

Let me back up a little. This happened on last day of sixth grade. I’m now in 8th grade, and I still remember the faces. I remember what my teacher said. I want to explain what this sand means. Even though it is really salt, it became sand to us.
At the beginning of the year, we were told to bring in salt. We all followed directions. We were intrigued; we kept trying to make Mr. Augustine drop a clue of what was going to happen with our salt. On the day it was going to happen, we walked into the classroom with big smiles and large eyes. I was one of the first people to notice the chalk pieces on our desks. I pointed it out to my friends and they pointed it out to their friends.

About half an hour before lunch, the teacher turned off the lights and placed paper plates on our desks. He told us to pour some sand into the plate and mix it…. This went on for about twenty minutes before he told us to stop. He asked us what we thought about this activity. The salt didn’t change at all. We all thought it was pretty lame. But, when the lights were turned back on, we saw the difference that chalk had made.

This may seem pretty run- on-ish for you. But let me get to my point. I really want people to realize how little people say thank you. Out of thirty two kids, only one said thank you. Now, I’m not going to be conceited and lie, I never once said thank you. I think I should’ve. I think we all should have. Next time you see some one who has made a big difference, say thank you.

Thank you, for everything.


The author's comments:
I really don't know what inspired me to write this... I just kind of want this to be heard. None you may know what i wrote this for. Why i wrote it. Some of you may know the exact feelings that I'm writing about.