She's Beauty | Teen Ink

She's Beauty MAG

September 8, 2011
By IRBFGW DIAMOND, Cincinnati, Ohio
IRBFGW DIAMOND, Cincinnati, Ohio
53 articles 1 photo 223 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Hey, assbutt!" Supernatural, Castiel.


When I look at her, I see beauty. She doesn't remember her past except the little habits, fear of flies, and the color of her skin. She is the best thing that ever happened to me. I wouldn't trade her for all the Beatles' records, diet soda machines, and Daniel Radcliffe marriage proposals in the world.

An only child can't understand this. I know I sure didn't. Not at first. But the one thing that comes to mind when I hear the word beautiful is Nan Chi Xing.

I was an only child all my childhood. Not good, not bad, just different. I became accustomed to having long conversations with my stuffed animals and creating imaginary siblings. But nothing could substitute for the real thing, which I longed for.

Nan Chi Xing did not have a happy start. She too was an only child, but she was an orphan. Nan Chi Xing is not even what her mother named her. Her mother didn't care. Nan Chi Xing was left at a train station December 14, 2004. Doctors say she was three days old. She was left with nothing, not even an identity. The orphanage had to give her one.

By the time I turned nine, I was not the only one who wanted another kid around the house. My parents did too. More than anything. But my mom was unable to get pregnant. Adoption seemed like the best option.

Nan Chi Xing dreamed of having parents. I dreamed of having a sister. We both got our wish October 31, 2005, when my parents brought home my new best friend and little sister they renamed Chloe.

From the start, I wanted to pick her up, hold her, and protect her from all the dangers of the world. She doesn't know her past. She knows she was adopted, but having grown up with Disney movies, she assumes her parents died and she was given to a lovely family and will live happily ever after. I fear for her. I will personally “Avada Kedavra” the first boy who breaks her heart, and probably all those after that. I don't hate her mother. I feel sorry for her, she missed having a wonderful daughter. I hope wherever her mom is, she is happy. After all, she gave me the greatest gift I could ever receive.


The author's comments:
This is a true story, about my baby sister who is now six.