Daisy | Teen Ink

Daisy

By sandi9411 GOLD, Watsonville, California
sandi9411 GOLD, Watsonville, California

"I contradict myself"

“Daisy, I’ve known you for a while now, but even since the very first day I laid my eyes on you, it has felt like I’ve known you forever. I only realize now that I want to be with you forever, will you marry me?” The rock beneath my knee was hurting me and I silently begged for her to make a decision quickly. I silently cursed as I tried to make my eyes smile at her through pain. She giggled, still no answer. I waited.
“Of course I will Bun bun” She giggled again and I smiled. I slipped the matching peace mood rings I bought for us yesterday onto her finger and then mine. I got off my aching knee and hugged her. No kiss, just a hug. I dusted off my knee as I then looked around to see the entire 8th and 7th grade class, staring at us. At that moment she turned to stare at them too, so she took my hand in hers and we walked off laughing like a bunch of little kids. I loved this part of us.
Yes, I know what you’re thinking, we are too young. I loved her though, as any best friend would. I don’t love her in the dating way though as she is well aware of and to no surprise, she feels the same way. So you see, this is no romantic lovers’ story; this is the story of two best friends.
“Honey, want to plan a wedding? Let’s have a real fake wedding just for us to have some fun.” I said while playing with the ring I just slipped onto her finger. She smiled at the idea and so I smiled back.
The wind was caressing us happily today as it was a joyous event. The trees gently swayed back and forth between the creek and the sun which shown softly through the cracks between the leaves. I looked lovingly beyond the path towards Honey and we smiled at one another. I took a deep breath and blushed slightly at the thought of having a real wedding, one with the love of my life. I took a step forward to find the wedding march playing tenderly alongside the wind and the path of flowers we laid down on this special occasion. I suddenly felt unbalanced as if I was about to fall. These nerves were getting to me. I unexpectedly felt the dress was too short, I didn’t curl my hair enough, the flower crown in my hair was messy and lopsided, the flowers were wilting, and everything was going wrong.
“Bun Bun” she whispered as I stood beside her and she looked at me a little confused and concerned. I shook my head slightly finally remembering what this was, me and my best friend. The ceremony continued smoothly and we did all those traditional events us kids thought of. Later that night, we shared a cup of hot chocolate on my porch watching the stars and talking to one another.
“Honey, that was a lot of fun, I’m glad you said yes” She smiled up at me, her eyes impossibly glossy and I felt my heart break. She took my hand in hers and smiled up at me.
“Bun Bun, saying yes was the best decision I ever made! I hope when I’m older I get a husband as extraordinary as you!” I didn’t have to say anything and to tell the truth I had no idea what to say. So I held on to her as tightly as I could for as long as she’d let me. Letting our pulses dance together in the memory of a pretend wedding that made our friendship a little bit stronger.

My best friend and I truely loved eachother. We didn't care about the people staring or laughing, we loved eachother and that was what mattered!