My War With Writing | Teen Ink

My War With Writing

By sambo SILVER, South Burlington, Vermont
sambo SILVER, South Burlington, Vermont

In the past year, I’ve tried to write four different novels. I’ve written about things I don’t know about, realizing that it wouldn’t work out. I’ve tried to write a story about something I’m passionate about (a story that I’m currently working on). I’ve even attempted to write an auto-biography. For each one, I’ve created a plot sheet with very meticulous notes about each turn the story will take as well as a character list with each character’s traits written out in an organized fashion.

<i>Name:
D.O.B.:
Parent’s Names:
Favorite color: </i>

etc…

Out of all four of these attempted novels, zero made it to level two, or even completed level one. I write for days with the utmost enthusiasm and then I glimpse over it to find myself dragging the little Microsoft Word icon to my Recycle Bin. And the funny thing is that a few minutes later, I start all over.

Now, where has this gotten me? Nowhere.

When I write, my primary purpose is to <i> please. </i> To write something that will blow people away. And each time, my expectations have been crushed. You know why? It’s because I <i> force </i> out the words. Each word in my writing is picked out with such vigilance, yet the effect remains low. When I write, I want people to like it. I’m sure I’m not the only one with that intention. However, what I have learned from YWP is that writing is not about big words that add sophistication or paragraphs that have no meaning. It’s about conveying your emotions with a meaning. Yet, it feels like I haven’t been able to do that. In these past few years with YWP, I’ve learned to be assertive when it comes to being a writer. I’ve learned that writing is an art and even though there’s always something to improve, my art will always be beautiful.

Today, I let myself be discouraged. Today, I let my guard down—that guard that was built with the years of YWP. I told myself I wasn’t a good writer. Is that true?

I have no idea.

I’ve compromised a lot for writing. Earlier this year, my only dream in life was to become a writer (when I started my first “novel”). Lately, the reality of that dream seems dubious. Can I really become a writer? Do I have the stamina or the drive to succeed? I don’t know. Do I want to try? Yes. Other teens my age dream to be a baseball player or an actress (though lately I’ve noticed that the dreams are getting closer to pragmatic) but I want to become a writer. I have no idea where I’ll end up or if I’ll ever change my mind, but what I do know is that right now, I’m trying. I’m trying my hardest to get there.

A couple of years ago, when I wrote something, that sudden awe from my parents or my teachers or my friends was enough to satisfy me, and to allow me to believe that I was a good writer. Today, that satisfaction only comes when some criticizes my writing—tells me to make it better. Because an aspiring writer needs critique, right?

In a few years, we’ll see where fate takes me. We’ll see if all these years spent on YWP will be beneficiary towards a career path, or maybe writing will just be a pastime—an escape from reality.

I’m not sure yet, but I think right now, I’m okay with just figuring out who <i>I</i> am as a writer.

YWP stands for "Young Writer's Project", a local writing website that I've been involved with for years. It's basically my life.

Kalliope SILVER, Brunswick, Maine

"A physician is not angry at the intemperance of a mad patient; nor does he take it ill to be railed at by a man in a fever. Just so should a wise man treat all mankind, as a physician does his patient..." Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I feel the same way...almost exactly ;D

loveisblind GOLD, Tenino, Washington

This world, it ends as you believe it to end; yet it'll live on to the actuall end, where then you admit yourself wrong.

~Me~

Hey sambo,

I know, writing is hard. I've been tryin 2 write a novel for a couple years now, restarting it over and over again, every time thinking I have it. My advice is: don't give up and don't throw away any start of a story, you may regret it later.

And you ARE NOT a bad writer. No one is. Infact, I would love to see one of your stories; even just one chapter or a prolauge.

Keep writing,

WRIT3R4LIF3