Down the Long Tiled Road | Teen Ink

Down the Long Tiled Road

By alanacarlene DIAMOND, Mexia, Texas
alanacarlene DIAMOND, Mexia, Texas

Silence screams too honestly and loudly.
-Alex (aka GangstaEyes)
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four.
-Winston Smith '1984'
Don't go wishin' your life away...
-Daddy S2
"What a drag it was to be limited by reality."

My feet were stones re-walking the tiled road I had walked so many times before. Leaving that sterile room, leaving my daddy in there by himself except for the machine with it's annoying constant beeping and the occasional visits from the hospital nurses. I wanted to carry him home with me and I probably could have since he had lost a lot of weight because his diet consisted of ice chips and medicine given to him through an I.V.
A frog was stuck in my throat trying to jump out of my mouth and through my eyes. Blinking back a waterfall of tears, I walked on ahead of my mother to the elevators. As I pushed the down button I couldn't help but question my faith for a second.
All I could think was "Why? Lord, how could you do this to Daddy? How!" A tremendous fear crept through my mind: What if the Crohn's disease killed him? I needed him. He still had to help me on school projects and tell me Granddad stories at night and walk me down the aisle for when I get married. He has to be ok. He has to be!
The elevator dinged and I came back from my horrible daze of things that could be but shouldn't. A single tear rolled down my cheek, just one out of the many more to come down the long tiled road.

In fourth grade Daddy was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease and I'd go to the hospital with my mom every weekend to see him. I never wanted to go to the hospital because I hated to see him like that but I NEVER wanted to leave because it just hurt my heart. My feet felt heavy like they were being weighed down by bricks. I'd always walk ahead of my mom when we left because I'd be so afraid to burst into tears because the "frog" in my throat was almost as painful as seeing my dad lying there sick.

hepburn said...
hepburn, Assd, Other

sdf

youre welcome! always a pleasure :)

alanacarlene DIAMOND, Mexia, Texas

-Alex (aka GangstaEyes)
-Winston Smith '1984'
Don't go wishin' your life away...
-Daddy S2

Thank you so much! I agree it is too short that's the only thing that bugs about this :/ but thanks so much for reading it!

hepburn said...
on Jun. 24 2010 at 5:49 am
hepburn, Assd, Other

sdf

this is good work! though i wouldve made it a little longer maybe? this was way too short, i want MORE :D

potential potential!! i will be checking very often :)

alanacarlene DIAMOND, Mexia, Texas

-Alex (aka GangstaEyes)
-Winston Smith '1984'
Don't go wishin' your life away...
-Daddy S2

Luv u too! Haha OMG emmy! I wuz @Red Lobsters and our waitor wuz so adorable! He reminded me of you cuz he had a lisp!!! lol And he look EXACTLY like the dude on Ratatoullie the 1 wit the red hair that found the rat no lie he looked like him! It wuz awesum! But his nose wasn't quite that big haha! Anyways I jus had to share that with you lol!!!

emmy2013 said...
lol ok i will!! and ur welcome!! love u!!

alanacarlene DIAMOND, Mexia, Texas

-Alex (aka GangstaEyes)
-Winston Smith '1984'
Don't go wishin' your life away...
-Daddy S2

Awww o my gosh that mean sooo much to me you have no idea!!!! Tell him I said thank you so much!!! And thank YOU for showing him haha.

emmy2013 said...
on Jun. 18 2010 at 1:08 am
i let my dad read this to show him how talented u are.. and i watched as he read it.. and i could tell that he was holding back tears. he said it was amazing and that u have a lot of talent!!

emmy2013 said...
alana this gave me goose bumps! i loved this piece, it is so amazing and beautiful! keep up your great work!

on Jun. 6 2010 at 2:34 am
alanacarlene DIAMOND, Mexia, Texas

-Alex (aka GangstaEyes)
-Winston Smith '1984'
Don't go wishin' your life away...
-Daddy S2

Awww!!! Yay! Thank you so much! I'm glad you liked it!

johnmarc24 said...
on Jun. 6 2010 at 2:27 am
I can really feel your pain and sadness and again you have contributed a beautiful piece and i can't wait for you to do even more