Wintry Memories | Teen Ink

Wintry Memories

By EHunt96 PLATINUM, Swampscott, Massachusetts
EHunt96 PLATINUM, Swampscott, Massachusetts

"Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about."

The ground was frostbitten and the leaves had fallen from the trees. The branches were bare and the grass was covered in a light blanket of snow. We walk back home from our long day at school. My back is aching in pain from all of the books and binders stuffed into my backpack. I slip my white woolen hat on my head and we make our way up the slippery hill. Ice conceals the sidewalk and I take caution in my steps. My friends laugh and talk while I keep to myself and listen to my music. Amanda, my best friend, notices my silence and she lets my other friends walk ahead. She comes over to me and pulls one headphone out of my ear. She sticks it in her ear and questions, “What song?” I nudge the ipod screen in her direction and she nods.

“So, what’s wrong?” She inquires.

“How could you tell?” I ask.

“I just know. You are not your smiling, happy-go-lucky self. What’s up?”

“I don’t know, I haven’t seen Josh in a while. As a matter of fact, I haven’t seen him at ALL. He doesn’t even know I still exist. I could be dead and he would not even care.”

“You don’t know that’s true. I bet he secretly likes you.”

“I don’t think so. Wouldn’t he have told me already? I bet he doesn’t even remember me, it’s been a whole YEAR.” I add sarcastically.

“Come on. If he doesn’t ask you out, it’s his own loss, his own fault. You are too good for him.” She comforts me.

“Yah, I try to tell myself that but every time I see him, I fall back down for him. It’s not fair.” I mumble.

“Yah, I know. Guys can be jerks.”

“Yah…” I agree.
Amanda hugs me and says, “It is going to be fine.”
I smile and say, “Okay.”

Suddenly, I hear laughter from behind me. I look back and I see no one in sight. I shrug and turn back around to talk with Amanda. I keep walking but I hear soft footsteps behind me. I turn around once again but only to find the sidewalk deserted. I twist around and walk once more. I feel a slight puncture in my backpack but I keep a steady pace. I feel another poke at my backpack and this time it is followed with my friends laughing. I look around me and then I see Josh. He is smiling his adorable smile. How can I resist? I say, “What are you doing?”

He laughs and answers, “Oh nothing.”
I glance at my backpack and notice it is covered in stickers. He laughs and he walks next to me. I am glad he still remembers me. I feel so relaxed and calm around him. I loved it when he smiles and talks with me. He makes me feel, incredible. I can’t even describe this great feeling.
“So, we haven’t talked in a while. What’s new?” He asks me.

And that is how our conversation started. Where it ends, no one can tell. But I do know, it ends with a big smile on my face.

This is a true story....

Hope you enjoy it.