Growing Up | Teen Ink

Growing Up

November 25, 2009
By john112233 SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
john112233 SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

My life has been formed from events in the community. It’s hard to scrutinize all the details because they happen all the time. Pet’s people and choices all shape who I am today. I first lived in Flower Mound, Texas. It was an astute little town, which over the years has had aggressive expansion of homes and businesses. My next-door neighbors had a nefarious dog. It always tried to nip or trip you. They once took it to get trained, but the results were ineffectual.

My dad’s job got moved to Hartford, Connecticut when I was 8 years old. There was nothing to do because both of my parents had jobs so I loathed around the house. I went to a new school which seemed to only solicit reading of educational books, when I liked fiction. It was hard to meet new friends and I was anti-social. My parents thought I might have a malady.

We moved again to Sussex, Wisconsin. I went to another school which was laid back and fun was encouraged. Mrs. Dallman, my teacher, was the most amicable person I have ever met. She read to the class with incredible amounts of expression making us feel like we are in the story. After that year of school, I was an advocate for reading.

High school started and my feelings for school changed. Things were not fun anymore and teachers had vexatious regard towards their students. This has continued on until the present time. School is a chore I dread getting up for at 6:30 a.m. every day. Hopefully my views will change but unless there is a teaching miracle, they wont.


The author's comments:
Growing up while moving alot changed my life.